1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Major/Grad School

1. May 9, 2007 #1
    Lets say that one wants to major in economics for undergrad school. But he wants to obtain a PhD in math in graduate school. If he self studies math on the side, can he still get into good graduate schools?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2007 #2
    I have a similar question. Can an Electrical Engineering graduate get into grad school for a PhD in physics?

4. May 9, 2007 #3
    I have the same question as ajsingh, but how about materials or aerospace engineering?

5. May 9, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It would depend on what specifically you've studied in your undergrad days, and what field of physics you wish to enter into. I don't think it's that common for an engineering graduate to switch to physics, but is more common the other way around.

For the maths/economics question, again it depends upon how much maths you've studied, and what field you wish to enter into. I think your chances are greater if you wanted to go into applied maths or stats rather than pure, though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?