Understanding the Formulas for Major Head Loss in Pipes

In summary, the authors use different equations to model the loss due to friction because the assumptions about how the world works affect the results.
foo9008

Homework Statement

why the author use major loss due to fluid friction is fL(Q^2) / 3(d^5) ?
according to darcy weisbech , the major loss due to friction has the formula of fL(v^2) / 2gD why the author wrote it as fL(Q^2) / 3(d^5) ?
I don't understand

RXhKeLk.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

since v= Q/ A , we can rewrite it as
fL(Q^2) / 2g(π^2)(d^5) , am i right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. are the authors using the same models?
2. maybe (Q^2) / 3(d^5) = (v^2) / 2gD ?
... do you know what the variables mean and how the two formulas were derived, what assumptions they use?

since v= Q/ A , we can rewrite it as
fL(Q^2) / 2g(π^2)(d^5) , am i right ?
... that's the idea. Does this make the two equations the same?

Likes foo9008
Simon Bridge said:
1. are the authors using the same models?
2. maybe (Q^2) / 3(d^5) = (v^2) / 2gD ?
... do you know what the variables mean and how the two formulas were derived, what assumptions they use?... that's the idea. Does this make the two equations the same?
what do you mean by same models here ?

ia my idea correct ? or the author's idea is correct ?

The mathematical equations you use are based on a set of assumptions about how the world works, which is described, in turn, by other maths.
The combinations of assumptions and maths is called a physical model.
Make different assumptions you get different equations.

You also get equations that look different but are actually the same ... for instance, the volume of a sphere could be written ##\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3## where ##r## is the radius, or it could be ##\frac{4}{3\sqrt{\pi}}A^{3/2}## ... where ##A## is the area of the biggest circular slice through the sphere, or it could be ##\frac{4}{16}\pi d^3## where ##d## is the diameter. You may use one equation instead of another because is is convenient to the information you have: i.e. it is easier to measure diameter than radius, but easier to build a sphere by fixing the radius rather than the diameter.

So do the two authors equation look different because they are actually different or is it more superficial than that?
The question is asking why the authors use the different equations ... that will be related to what they want to use the equations for as well as the assumptions they are making about reality.

I cannot tell if your idea is correct because I don't know what it is supposed to do. You didn't say.
However there is quite a lot going on which you have yet to address.

1. What is major head loss in pipe?

Major head loss in pipe is the decrease in total energy that occurs as a fluid flows through a pipe due to friction. This loss of energy is typically caused by factors such as pipe roughness, flow velocity, and pipe length.

2. How is major head loss calculated?

Major head loss is typically calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the fluid properties, pipe characteristics, and flow conditions. Other methods such as the Hazen-Williams equation can also be used for simpler systems.

3. What are the factors that affect major head loss in pipe?

The main factors that affect major head loss in pipe include the pipe diameter, pipe roughness, flow velocity, pipe length, and fluid properties such as viscosity and density. Additionally, fittings and changes in pipe direction can also contribute to head loss.

4. How can major head loss in pipe be reduced?

Major head loss in pipe can be reduced by using pipes with larger diameters, smoother inner surfaces, and shorter lengths. Lowering the flow velocity and using more efficient fittings can also help to reduce head loss. Additionally, regular maintenance and cleaning of pipes can prevent the build-up of deposits that can increase friction and head loss.

5. What are some common causes of major head loss in pipe?

Some common causes of major head loss in pipe include pipe corrosion, scaling or build-up of deposits on the inner surface, obstructions or blockages in the pipe, and changes in pipe direction or diameter. Inadequate design or installation of the pipe system can also result in higher levels of head loss.