Can I Major in Physics Without AP Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether taking AP physics in high school is necessary for majoring in physics in college. The general consensus is that while AP courses may provide college credit, they do not necessarily prepare students for the rigor of college courses. Additionally, taking higher level math courses in high school may be more beneficial in the long run. Ultimately, as long as the student enjoys and works hard in physics, they will be successful in their major.
gandhiji
in my high school, we are required to take physics as juniors and i did. i loved physics and wanted to take ap physics but we didnt have that class at our school. would i still be ok majoring in physics? btw, this year (12) i am taking calculus bc and doing fairly well in it if that helps

Physics news on Phys.org
You would be perfectly fine as long as you enjoy physics. Taking AP courses in high school doesn't mean anything as far as being capable of majoring in Physics in college.

Beeza is correct. In fact, you will be better served by taking a good amount of higher math in high school than by taking AP physics in my eyes. AP classes only allow you to get college credit for classes you don't want to retake. At least, that was the way it was when I was an undergrad. And if you are going to major in a subject, you really want to take the complete curriculum in college to better prepare yourself for the future classes and career.

In my college physics class the kids who'd had AP physics did worse then others because they expected the class to be as easy.

I just started my physics major (I am a freshman in college) and I never took AP Phys and I am doing just fine right now. Just work hard and you'll pass easily.

AP courses are over rated. I took AP calculus in high school and only skipped 1 quarter of calculus in college. You'll be fine.

1. Can I still major in physics without taking AP Physics in high school?

Yes, it is possible to major in physics without taking AP Physics in high school. Many colleges and universities offer introductory physics courses for students who have not taken AP Physics.

2. Will not taking AP Physics put me at a disadvantage in college?

Not necessarily. While AP Physics can provide a strong foundation for college-level physics courses, it is not a requirement for majoring in physics. With hard work and dedication, you can still excel in your physics courses without taking AP Physics in high school.

3. Will I need to take any extra courses if I did not take AP Physics in high school?

It depends on the college or university you attend. Some schools may require you to take a placement exam or an introductory physics course to assess your knowledge and skills. However, many schools offer introductory physics courses specifically for students who have not taken AP Physics.

4. Can I still get into a good physics program without taking AP Physics?

Yes, there are many factors that colleges and universities consider when evaluating applicants for their physics programs. While AP Physics can be beneficial, it is not the only factor that determines your acceptance into a program. Admissions committees also look at your grades, extracurricular activities, and personal statement.

5. Will not taking AP Physics limit my opportunities in the field of physics?

No, not taking AP Physics will not limit your opportunities in the field of physics. Your success in the field will depend on your dedication, hard work, and passion for the subject. Many successful physicists did not take AP Physics in high school, and it did not hinder their career paths.