Major in what you're PASSIONATE in and other useless platitudes

• Thread starter MissSilvy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary: I'm sorry, your response is not a summary of the conversation. In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of deciding on a career and the lack of helpful advice in choosing a major. The poster expresses concerns about low salaries and lack of job satisfaction in certain fields. They also mention wanting their hard work and innovation to be rewarded, rather than just being treated as something they owe the company. The conversation also mentions the idea of specializing in a field to potentially set their own salary and the possibility of opening their own business.

TS > I'll send you a PM.

Physics news on Phys.org

MissSilvy said:
While your oodles of sarcasm are delightful, there will always be someone who does less work than you but still gets paid the same.

Not to be mean or anything, but I'm sure that's the rare, lucky exception that you shouldn't be comparing yourself with. There are probably many people who work harder than you but still get paid the same as you.

Actually, the engineer's story was pure capitalism.

The purpose of Management is not to enrich employees... it is to enrich the shareholders. If someone steps up to do more than their share of work, the management will certainly allow this! And if such people can be bought off with just a small promotion, all the better.

If you want more money, you have to ask for it. If the company doesn't think you're worth it, be prepared to leave, because that is the only leverage you have.

It's a harsh world, I admit.

Exactly - Perfectly put.

I certainly have less experience than most of you (I'm an undergrad chem major), but here's what I think. I would rather work in pure chemistry for the rest of my life and make a decent living than settle for a job as, say, a pharmacist or pharmaceutical sales rep, which is what I see a lot of my peers who are interested in chemistry doing. I understand that I may change my mind at some point, and maybe I will end up getting interested in something along the lines of pharmacy. But one thing I do know is that I won't specialize in something I have less interest in just because it makes more money. Is pay in the scientific research field fair? Not always. But personally, I would rather stick with chemistry (which I chose because I am passionate about it) and make average money than get a degree in pseudo-chemistry or an area of chemistry I'm not interested in and make a "lot" of money.

However, being a BME I'm close to medicine and have found a very interesting physics specialty called Medical Physics. Medical means interesting (to me), applicable, well payed, and stable. Physics means interesting.

You should read up on medical physics, especially the recent posts on this forum, and then reconsider your opinion. Medical physicists are indeed well-paid, but the field is not necessarily interesting.

MissSilvy said:
While your oodles of sarcasm are delightful, there will always be someone who does less work than you but still gets paid the same. It happened all the time in the jobs I had up until this point, and I've heard all about it from people who are already in the industry. Joe Schmoe isn't a person; he's a fact of life.

Could you give a specific example of "someone who does less work than you but still gets paid the same"?

=.= ...i'm currently in a similar situation..l really like physics and am thinking of doing a Physics degree but i don't want to end up in a job with low salary. but then again, i do think doing something that one like will make his/her life happier.. well anyway, good luck to you. :)

avant-garde said:
Could you give a specific example of "someone who does less work than you but still gets paid the same"?

This happens all the time. It's not uncommon at all. But after a while, you get the promotions and raises and they don't. Maybe they lose their job. Maybe they continue at that level of production and their career plateaus.

If this isn't, in general, how it works at your company, it's time to find a new place to work. Having said that, it's also the responsibility of each employee to make their work and their value known and not to passive-aggressively complain on the internet.

The world isn't designed to be fair, but your boss wants the best possible people working for him. Make your boss successful and you will be fine.