Should I Major in Physics? Balancing Workload and Career Goals

In summary, computer science and physics are both interesting and have their pros and cons. However, if you are unsure of what you want to do with a degree in either, it is best to consider taking a minor in one so that you can better focus on your career goals.
zAbso
I'm currently a sophomore in college studying computer science while minoring in both physics and chemistry. I constantly find myself debating whether I should or shouldn't major in physics instead of it being a minor. I already have quite a workload with computer science and I'm not sure how much will be added with physics in the mix. My main concern is increasing my workload to an unmanageable point.

Does anyone have any tips they think would help me manage in terms of studying and keeping up with work?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the real question that you have to wrestle with is why you would want to major in physics in the first place.

The general difference between a major and a minor is that the major will open the door for you to attend graduate school in that area if you want. A minor doesn't really qualify you for that. So if you're potentially interested in doing graduate work in physics, by all means you should take the major. If you're pretty sure that you're going to go on in computer science or stop after your bachelor's degree, the second major likely won't be worth a lot for you.

With respect to increasing your workload, it's hard to give a lot of suggestions without really knowing how well you're doing now and what you're struggling with when it comes to time management. Some people do really well with a pile of STEM classes. Some people need to switch gears and throw in a humanities elective to balance things out. Some people are going to struggle if all they do is take a single class, even if they have not other demands on their time.

Choppy said:
I think the real question that you have to wrestle with is why you would want to major in physics in the first place.

The general difference between a major and a minor is that the major will open the door for you to attend graduate school in that area if you want. A minor doesn't really qualify you for that. So if you're potentially interested in doing graduate work in physics, by all means you should take the major. If you're pretty sure that you're going to go on in computer science or stop after your bachelor's degree, the second major likely won't be worth a lot for you.

With respect to increasing your workload, it's hard to give a lot of suggestions without really knowing how well you're doing now and what you're struggling with when it comes to time management. Some people do really well with a pile of STEM classes. Some people need to switch gears and throw in a humanities elective to balance things out. Some people are going to struggle if all they do is take a single class, even if they have not other demands on their time.

Computer science is something that I began because I saw my life going down a path that I no longer see myself on. I still want a major in the field but what I'll do with the degree has change since I began the journey. In regards to physics, should I major in it, I'm looking to go on to get my masters and possibly a PhD. Originally because of the path I was taking, I didn't see a reason to consider physics as a possible second major and kept it as a minor because of my interest in the subject (much like chemistry). Though, due to the path change, the debate has come up. As far as what I'll do with physics, I have some ideas but I'm ultimately unsure as of now. Also with a possible masters or PhD in physics, my job focus will change from those relating to computer science to those relating to physics. Having both will give me a wider range of jobs to look into should one yield less positive results than the other.

1. What is the difference between a major and minor in physics?

A major in physics typically requires a larger number of courses and a more in-depth study of the subject compared to a minor. A major is often the primary focus of a student's undergraduate degree, while a minor is an additional area of study.

2. What are the career opportunities for a major or minor in physics?

A major or minor in physics can lead to a variety of career paths, including research and development, engineering, teaching, and data analysis. Physics majors can also pursue graduate studies in physics or related fields.

3. Is a minor in physics beneficial if I am majoring in a different field?

Yes, a minor in physics can be beneficial for students majoring in other fields as it provides a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and quantitative skills. This can be valuable in a variety of career paths, including medicine, law, and business.

4. Can I switch from a minor to a major in physics or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a minor to a major in physics, or vice versa. However, it is important to consider the additional coursework and time commitment required for a major. It is recommended to consult with an academic advisor before making any changes to your academic plan.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a major or minor in physics?

A major or minor in physics will provide you with a strong foundation in scientific principles, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills. You will also gain a deep understanding of the fundamental laws that govern the physical world, as well as the ability to apply mathematical and computational methods to solve complex problems.