Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Major Power Outage in Los Angeles, Reason Unknown

1. Sep 12, 2005 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We are on generators here, but it looks like everything around us in Westwood is without power. Trying to get home tonight should be interesting. :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wow, hope it's restored before you have to head home!

4. Sep 12, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Power is slowly coming back on-line. It appears that a worker for the water department may have cut a critical power line.

At first I was thinking sun spots. We have a big one coming around I think...

5. Sep 12, 2005 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

thanks, Evo. oh- we just got an update. Apparently an employee "inadvertently cut a power cable" at a DWP substation in West L.A. DOH!

At least it wasn't terrorists.

6. Sep 12, 2005 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ha ha - we had speculated that it had something to so with all the recent intense solar flares!

7. Sep 12, 2005 #6
  8. Sep 12, 2005 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I figured Ivan might have rigged up some new device on the farm and inadvertently knocked out the west coast power grid. :tongue:

9. Sep 12, 2005 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No kidding!!! When the power went off we instantly went on full alert. I admit, even I was feeling pretty spooked.

This Gadahn guy is scary. I heard something about him on the radio this morning. Isn't he actually a Jewish guy from Riverside, CA? I am totally confused! :confused:

10. Sep 12, 2005 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dang it, Ivan!! :grumpy: :grumpy:

11. Sep 12, 2005 #10

LURCH

Science Advisor

Let's be honest people, we all know the real reason the power went out is because Gearge W. Bush hates white people !!! The power has been out for hours, and still nothing has been done. Thousands are left without the use of vending machines or tellevisions, the vast majority of them white. How long will the president try to deny his obvious implicit involvement in this conspiracy? The people will not put up with this.

12. Sep 12, 2005 #11
    Yes we do have some big flare ups comming, but I think{lol if I recall right} they will be on a area of the sun, not in alignment with us. And shouldn't be a problem this time.

13. Sep 12, 2005 #12
    Why is everyone ignoring the many reports of nocturnally roving herds of weird, purple jellyfish seen headed toward all the major power stations around LA last night? Like they're ever out for "an innocent stroll."

14. Sep 12, 2005 #13
    Cause we were told they were sea gulls in drag...I never thought for one moment that I would be lied to. :mad:

15. Sep 12, 2005 #14
    And just why would anyone assume sea gulls in drag to be harmless? The incidence of violent crime perpetrated by flocks of sea gulls in drag is up 10% over last year.

16. Sep 12, 2005 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And seagulls are a well-known terrorist organization as it is. I experienced some of their intimidation tactics first-hand while eating my sandwich at the pier last Sunday.

17. Sep 12, 2005 #16

LURCH

Science Advisor

Sure they commit violent crimes, but they look just FAAaaabulous doing it!

18. Sep 12, 2005 #17
    Yes, many have been bullied by these feathered thugs when they innocently wandered onto the wrong pier with a snack in hand.

19. Sep 12, 2005 #18

LURCH

Science Advisor

"Mine? Mine? Mine? Mine?..."

20. Sep 12, 2005 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was such an accurate portrayal of seagulls. I loved that movie. :rofl:

21. Sep 12, 2005 #20
    So, we should get soft on crime because of a remarkable style-sense? Granted, some of them look remarkably feminine, and their lipstick-glossy bills are eye-catching, and their high heels do make their legs look longer and more shapely, but should this excuse their criminal activities?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?