Major Power Outage in Los Angeles, Reason Unknown

In summary, a power outage has hit a large portion of Los Angeles, California. Officials say the power outage extends from downtown Los Angeles up to 80 kilometers outside the city, affecting millions of residents. The Los Angeles Police Department has gone on alert, and a department spokesman says the city has not ruled out criminal activity or terrorism.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.voanews.com/english/2005-09-12-voa60.cfm

A major power outage has hit a large portion of Los Angeles, California.

Officials say the power outage extends from downtown Los Angeles up to 80 kilometers outside the city, affecting millions of residents.

The Los Angeles Police Department has gone on alert, and a department spokesman says the city has not ruled out criminal activity or terrorism. But a spokeswoman for the city's Department of Water and Power says terrorism is not suspected.
We are on generators here, but it looks like everything around us in Westwood is without power. Trying to get home tonight should be interesting. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, hope it's restored before you have to head home!

Power is slowly coming back on-line. It appears that a worker for the water department may have cut a critical power line.

At first I was thinking sun spots. We have a big one coming around I think...

thanks, Evo. oh- we just got an update. Apparently an employee "inadvertently cut a power cable" at a DWP substation in West L.A. DOH!

At least it wasn't terrorists.

Ivan Seeking said:
ha ha - we had speculated that it had something to so with all the recent intense solar flares!

I figured Ivan might have rigged up some new device on the farm and inadvertently knocked out the west coast power grid. :tongue:

Knavish said:

No kidding! When the power went off we instantly went on full alert. I admit, even I was feeling pretty spooked.

This Gadahn guy is scary. I heard something about him on the radio this morning. Isn't he actually a Jewish guy from Riverside, CA? I am totally confused! :confused:

Evo said:
I figured Ivan might have rigged up some new device on the farm and inadvertently knocked out the west coast power grid. :tongue:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dang it, Ivan! :grumpy: :grumpy:

Let's be honest people, we all know the real reason the power went out is because Gearge W. Bush hates white people ! The power has been out for hours, and still nothing has been done. Thousands are left without the use of vending machines or tellevisions, the vast majority of them white. How long will the president try to deny his obvious implicit involvement in this conspiracy? The people will not put up with this.

Ivan Seeking said:
Power is slowly coming back on-line. It appears that a worker for the water department may have cut a critical power line.

Yes we do have some big flare ups comming, but I think{lol if I recall right} they will be on a area of the sun, not in alignment with us. And shouldn't be a problem this time.

Why is everyone ignoring the many reports of nocturnally roving herds of weird, purple jellyfish seen headed toward all the major power stations around LA last night? Like they're ever out for "an innocent stroll."

Cause we were told they were sea gulls in drag...I never thought for one moment that I would be lied to. :mad:

hypatia said:
Cause we were told they were sea gulls in drag...I never thought for one moment that I would be lied to. :mad:
And just why would anyone assume sea gulls in drag to be harmless? The incidence of violent crime perpetrated by flocks of sea gulls in drag is up 10% over last year.

zoobyshoe said:
And just why would anyone assume sea gulls in drag to be harmless? The incidence of violent crime perpetrated by flocks of sea gulls in drag is up 10% over last year.
And seagulls are a well-known terrorist organization as it is. I experienced some of their intimidation tactics first-hand while eating my sandwich at the pier last Sunday.

Sure they commit violent crimes, but they look just FAAaaabulous doing it!

Math Is Hard said:
And seagulls are a well-known terrorist organization as it is. I experienced some of their intimidation tactics first-hand while eating my sandwich at the pier last Sunday.
Yes, many have been bullied by these feathered thugs when they innocently wandered onto the wrong pier with a snack in hand.

"Mine? Mine? Mine? Mine?..."

LURCH said:
"Mine? Mine? Mine? Mine?..."
That was such an accurate portrayal of seagulls. I loved that movie. :rofl:

LURCH said:
Sure they commit violent crimes, but they look just FAAaaabulous doing it!
So, we should get soft on crime because of a remarkable style-sense? Granted, some of them look remarkably feminine, and their lipstick-glossy bills are eye-catching, and their high heels do make their legs look longer and more shapely, but should this excuse their criminal activities?

I went from Pasadena to Burbank today, and when I got off the freeway to Burbank - I started noticing that every traffic light was off. Went to MickyD's - the doors were locked. Got some pastries at an bakery and they mentioned something about a terrorist attack, but I guess that was wrong. Kind of a bush league situation overall.

I don't think Pasadena was affected.

zoobyshoe said:
Why is everyone ignoring the many reports of nocturnally roving herds of weird, purple jellyfish seen headed toward all the major power stations around LA last night? Like they're ever out for "an innocent stroll."
which means that it's PF's fault, because we created them.

stupid jellyfish...

:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
|||||||||||||||||

yomamma said:
which means that it's PF's fault, because we created them.
You're raving mad. There's no human mind that demented.

zoobyshoe said:
This photo was just released by the LAPD...
http://www.mic.gr/dbimages/1028_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
TheStatutoryApe said:
flock.jpg

:rofl:
That site doesn't allow hotlinking :rofl:

TheStatutoryApe said:
flock.jpg
Not one iota of respect for human life in their beady little eyes...spine chilling!

zoobyshoe said:
So, we should get soft on crime because of a remarkable style-sense? Granted, some of them look remarkably feminine, and their lipstick-glossy bills are eye-catching, and their high heels do make their legs look longer and more shapely...

OK, this probably should not be turning me on, should it? :redface:

Damn! Obstruction of justice is what that is!... :redface:

Is it better now?

LURCH said:
Let's be honest people, we all know the real reason the power went out is because Gearge W. Bush hates white people !

Hispanic people, Lurch. Whites are a minority in LA.

What is the definition of a major power outage?

A major power outage is a significant disruption to the supply of electricity in a large area, leading to a widespread loss of power.

What areas were affected by the power outage in Los Angeles?

The power outage in Los Angeles affected a large portion of the city, including downtown, Hollywood, and several surrounding neighborhoods.

What could be the possible reasons for the power outage in Los Angeles?

There are a variety of potential reasons for a major power outage, including severe weather, equipment failure, human error, and cyber attacks. Without an official statement from the power company, it is difficult to determine the exact cause of the outage in Los Angeles.

How long will it take to restore power in Los Angeles?

The restoration time for a major power outage can vary greatly depending on the cause and extent of the outage. It is important to follow updates from the power company for an estimated timeline, but it is also important to be prepared for an extended outage.

What can residents do during a major power outage?

During a major power outage, it is important to stay informed and follow any instructions or updates from the power company. Residents should also have a prepared emergency kit with essential supplies such as flashlights, non-perishable food, and water. It is also recommended to have a plan in place for alternative power sources, such as a generator, if possible.