Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Major Quake - M7.5 Now

1. Mar 29, 2015 #1

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2015 #2
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  4. Mar 29, 2015 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well in the case of subduction zone quakes, its the subducting crust/ lithosphere that provides melt material that will eventually come back up
    in eruptions. Quakes in today's quake region and a bit further west would be responsible for "feeding" the Rabaul volcanoes not far to the north/NW.

Remember the subduction, melting and rising of the resulting magma is on very long time periods. So a big quake there today, doesn't infer an eruption in the near future. Any near future eruptions would be from already existing rising plumes. Its just a long ongoing process :smile:

Dave

5. Mar 30, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of the channel seismograms from this event ....

150329.234553.sydln.gif

6. Mar 30, 2015 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was lucky to get this quake yesterday. Some hours after it occurred and just after I saved the files
    the computer that runs the seismo recorder failed. Look like the mother board has fallen over :frown:

Several weeks ago a friend gave me his old computer system and after spending some time cleaning out all his programs and other stuff
    I was able to install the logging software and get it up and running again. Just in time to record a M 5.5 from the central Indian Ocean
    and this morning a M 5.7 aftershock from the Tonga Samoa region quakes.
    I missed recording the Tonga Samoa region quakes last nite as the system was in the middle of multiple failures
    They were a M 6.4 and a M 6.5 around 30 minutes apart

The joys of live science

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook