Did You Feel the Major Quake in PNG? Check Out the Seismograms!

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the M 7.5 earthquake that occurred near the Rabaul volcano in Papua New Guinea yesterday was the result of the subduction of the Pacific Plate beneath the Australian Plate. The quakes in the region and a bit further west are responsible for "feeding" the Rabaul volcanoes. While this event does not imply an eruption in the near future, future eruptions may occur from already existing plumes.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
well in the case of subduction zone quakes, its the subducting crust/ lithosphere that provides melt material that will eventually come back up
in eruptions. Quakes in today's quake region and a bit further west would be responsible for "feeding" the Rabaul volcanoes not far to the north/NW.

Remember the subduction, melting and rising of the resulting magma is on very long time periods. So a big quake there today, doesn't infer an eruption in the near future. Any near future eruptions would be from already existing rising plumes. Its just a long ongoing process :smile:

Dave

One of the channel seismograms from this event ...

150329.234553.sydln.gif

I was lucky to get this quake yesterday. Some hours after it occurred and just after I saved the files
the computer that runs the seismo recorder failed. Look like the mother board has fallen over :frown:

Several weeks ago a friend gave me his old computer system and after spending some time cleaning out all his programs and other stuff
I was able to install the logging software and get it up and running again. Just in time to record a M 5.5 from the central Indian Ocean
and this morning a M 5.7 aftershock from the Tonga Samoa region quakes.
I missed recording the Tonga Samoa region quakes last nite as the system was in the middle of multiple failures
They were a M 6.4 and a M 6.5 around 30 minutes apart

The joys of live science

cheers
Dave

Last edited:

1. What is a "Major Quake - M7.5 Now"?

A "Major Quake - M7.5 Now" refers to a major earthquake with a magnitude of 7.5 on the Richter scale that has occurred recently.

2. Where did the "Major Quake - M7.5 Now" occur?

The location of the "Major Quake - M7.5 Now" varies and can occur in any part of the world where tectonic plates meet and create seismic activity.

3. How is the magnitude of a "Major Quake - M7.5 Now" measured?

The magnitude of a "Major Quake - M7.5 Now" is measured using the Richter scale, which is a logarithmic scale that assigns a numerical value to the amount of energy released by an earthquake.

4. What are the potential impacts of a "Major Quake - M7.5 Now"?

A "Major Quake - M7.5 Now" can cause widespread damage to buildings, infrastructure, and natural landscapes, as well as potential loss of life and injuries. It can also trigger secondary hazards such as landslides, tsunamis, and aftershocks.

5. Is there a way to predict when a "Major Quake - M7.5 Now" will occur?

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to accurately predict when a "Major Quake - M7.5 Now" will occur. However, scientists continue to research and develop methods for early warning systems and forecasting earthquake activity.