Which Engineering Specialization is Right for Me?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in becoming an engineer, specifically in designing and building cars and working with the military on mechanics projects. They wonder if mechanical engineering is the correct choice and if there is a specific focus within the field they should concentrate on. They also mention the benefits of being a general mechanical engineer and the possibility of exploring other related fields. Finally, the other person agrees that mechanical engineering is a good choice and suggests different areas of focus such as mechanics, fluids, and heat transfer.
Shady18
I have a question to pose:

I'm interested in becoming an engineer, but I'm not sure what branch best suits what I would like to be doing professionally. I have a large interest in designing/building cars and basically anything that can help people get from point A to point B. I think it would be neat to work in cooperation with the military on projects (I have a friend who is hired by the navy to help design submarines) involving mechanics. Now, that being said, the obvious choice would be mechanical engineering, but I would like to know if this is an incorrect assumption, or, being correct, if there is a certain focus of study in mechanical that I would need to concentrate on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this site, but I can already tell that the people who post know what they are talking about and probably have experience which would be of use in answering my question.

Thank You,
Adam

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry it took so long to respond...

MechE is good because its general. It applies to anything that has any moving (and sometimes things with non-moving) parts. Cars, tanks, subs --- yeah. Being general also means there are more jobs out there than with a more specific degree. There are a lot of jobs you wouldn't even think of (trust me - there were a lot that I hadn't thought of until I started applying for them). Come to think of it - go to Monster and do a search for entry level jobs in various disciplines and see what appeals to you more.

Now, the big question is if you want to be that general or if there is a more specific aspect (fluids, heat transfer, mechanics, robotics, materials, etc) that you want to go into. Depending on the answer to that question, you may want to do MechE and focus your electives (you won't have many) on a specific area or go into one of the related fields like Aero, Materials, Structures, etc.

I agree MechEng is the way to go.

Mechanics for general design
Fluids for airplane/submarine propulsion design
Heat transfer (thermodynamics) for...um...engine design?

What are the different types of engineering specializations?

There are many different types of engineering specializations, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and computer engineering. These specializations focus on different areas of technology and have their own unique applications.

How do I choose the right engineering specialization for me?

To choose the right engineering specialization, you should consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research the different types of engineering and their job prospects to find a specialization that aligns with your skills and interests.

What is the difference between a bachelor's and master's degree in engineering?

A bachelor's degree in engineering typically provides a broad overview of the field, while a master's degree allows for more specialized study and research. A master's degree may also lead to higher-paying job opportunities and can be necessary for certain positions.

Are there any engineering specializations that are in high demand?

Some engineering specializations that are currently in high demand include software engineering, environmental engineering, and biomedical engineering. These fields have a growing need for skilled professionals and offer a wide range of job opportunities.

Can I switch engineering specializations after I have already started my degree?

It is possible to switch engineering specializations after starting your degree, but it may require taking additional courses and extending your graduation timeline. It is important to carefully consider your decision and consult with an advisor before making a switch.