Is Another Major Storm Heading Our Way?

In summary, a large storm is heading towards home yesterday. Multiple places had winds of 75-100 km/hr (40-60 miles/hr).
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
Another big storm heading towards home yesterday

20141124 Storm Panorama sm.jpg

this tiny 800x600 size doesn't do it justice

Dave

Likes zoki85 and Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that's scary!

Likes davenn
jedishrfu said:
Is this a hurricane level storm? in Sydney?

just a major thunderstorm :) several places had winds 75 - 100km/hr (40 - 60 miles/hr)
Evo said:
Wow, that's scary!
hi Evo ... yes WOW that was also the word out of the mouth of a lady that came out of the office block behind me I was standing in front of

she said " I saw you taking photo's and came outside to see what of ... ( there was a pause, then I hear) ... WOW"

Dave

Last edited:
It also appears to have a funnel and then what we call a "skud" cloud to the left of the funnel.

they were both just skud cloud lowerings

OK Evo, now you have impressed me ;) you are a storm aficionado if you know the term skud cloud :)
non-stormchasers/met office people don't usually know that term

DAve

Gee.. like doors of hell opening:eek:

Likes davenn
davenn said:
they were both just skud cloud lowerings

OK Evo, now you have impressed me ;) you are a storm aficionado if you know the term skud cloud :)
non-stormchasers/met office people don't usually know that term

DAve
I live in Kansas, before I lived many years in Houston, TX, so, yes, I am into storms and tornadoes.

Likes davenn
I just used that term, like 2 hours ago, looking out the office window, I described some clouds as scudding. I didn't know it was meteorological; I thought it was literary.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Evo said:
I live in Kansas, before I lived many years in Houston, TX, so, yes, I am into storms and tornadoes.

Haven't been in Kansas stormchasing since 2006, lack of funds have stopped more visits

DaveC426913 said:
I just used that term, like 2 hours ago, looking out the office window, I described some clouds as scudding.

cool, Dave ...
Over the years, there's been many a scud cloud mistaken as a tornadic funnel. People don't observe long enough to determine significant rotation etc

here's a crop of that area from the full sized image

20141124 Storm Panorama crop.jpg
D

1. What is considered a major storm?

A major storm is typically defined as a weather event that produces strong winds, heavy precipitation, and potential for damage to property and infrastructure.

2. How is a major storm forecasted?

Forecasting a major storm involves analyzing various weather patterns and data from satellites, weather balloons, and other sources. This information is used to create computer models that predict the intensity, track, and potential impacts of the storm.

3. What should I do to prepare for a major storm?

It is important to have an emergency preparedness plan in place before a major storm approaches. This may include having a supply of non-perishable food, water, batteries, and other essentials, as well as securing your home and following evacuation orders if necessary.

4. How long does a major storm typically last?

The duration of a major storm can vary depending on its size and intensity. Some storms may last for a few hours, while others may last for several days.

5. What are the potential dangers of a major storm?

A major storm can bring strong winds, heavy rain or snow, lightning, and potential for flooding and landslides. It can also cause power outages, damage to buildings and infrastructure, and create hazardous road conditions. It is important to follow safety precautions and stay informed during a major storm.