Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Majorana discovery?

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

http://thewestsidestory.net/2014/10/05/18346/obscure-majorna-particle-discovered-encompasses-matter-antimatter/ [Broken]

Reports the direct observation of Majorana particles, by Princeton researchers. Is there anything substantive to this? - or is it just a Science writer getting it wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2014 #2
    On first glance, it appears to be a science writer getting it wrong. He says they lower the metals to below absolute zero, and the clarity of the article isn't very large. It makes me suspicious.

4. Oct 5, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have no idea if the research being discussed it valid or not, but certainly the article is terrible.

I have no idea what "tough" and "hard" properties are and I doubt the writer does either. I suppose he's trying to emphasize complicated.

This is where I stopped reading.

5. Oct 5, 2014 #4

TumblingDice

Gold Member

6. Oct 5, 2014 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think it's more a case of a writer who can't THINK.

7. Oct 5, 2014 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Obviously, if this is happening in iron, it's not a fundamental particle. If you read better articles, you will see that this is a quasiparticle: a type of crystal defect that can be treated using the same mathematics as in field theory.

8. Oct 6, 2014 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Article at sciencemag.org

They are clearly referring to quasiparticles. Abstract:

9. Oct 8, 2014 #8

jim mcnamara

The same thing happens in Biology articles from the mainstream press. It seemed awful from the get-go, but there were no citations to get me further down the road. Did a Google search and found nothing.

Thanks for the input. And the links.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook