Biophysics Majoring: Community College to UCSD: Advice Needed

• Programs
  • Thread starter ActionPotential
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biophysics
In summary, the speaker is currently attending community college in San Diego and has a TAG contract to transfer to UC-San Diego for a dual-major in Physics with a Specialization in Biophysics and Mathematics. They are interested in researching neural networks and their relationship to physics and are seeking advice on what courses to take in preparation for their major and future goals. Suggestions include taking computer science courses, becoming familiar with UNIX and MATLAB, and gaining experience in electronics. They also recommend taking biochemistry, cell biology, and organic chemistry courses, as well as courses in mathematical biology and systems science.
ActionPotential
I am currently attending community college in San Diego. I have TAG (Transfer Agreement - http://www.sdcity.edu/transfer/programs/tag/TAG%20GE.pdf), which is a contract stating that I will be transferring into UC-San Diego (UCSD), once I have completed the necessary pre-requisites. I have elected Physics with a Specialization in Biophysics (Biophysics pre-requisites prior to transfer) and a dual-major in Mathematics (Mathematics pre-requisites prior to transfer). I have looked over the UCSD website, but currently, it doesn't display any recommended courses to take in conjunction with my physics and mathematics courses (http://physics.ucsd.edu/).

I am wondering, is Mathematics the best option for my double-major, or should I choose something like Biology? I want to do research in areas modeling and describing how these intricate, interconnected neural networks work at the microcosmic, physical level. How is sensory information physically encoded and transferred through these networks? What is the topological and geometrical relationship between these objects and the physics which govern these operations? What is the fundamental, overall physics involved guiding these operations? Can we understand the mechanisms of consciousness, awareness, and perception through physics, or do these properties only emerge at a macroscopic level?

Anyways, if anyone has any information or suggestions related to pursuing this major, and what would be a good educational plan, or what courses I should take, please let me know.

I do not want to take a lot of biology courses, when I should take chemistry courses, or take a bunch of chemistry courses, when I should be taking biology courses. Do I take cognitive neuroscience courses when I get to UCSD? If so, which ones? What type of programming courses will I need to take. What maths should I be doing, to help me understand the Biophysics.

Anyways, sorry for rambling.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

I am a graduating senior from UCSD so may I advice you on few things. I am also a transfer student and my following advices are basically things I would have done if I can go back to where you are now~ (T_T )

First, If I were you, I would dig into some computer sciences. CC has lots of computer science classes like C, Java, and so on. Take them all and practice! Also, get used to using UNIX and Matlab. Don't worry about learning Mathematica, you will learn all about it while taking Mathematical Physics class here at UCSD. This will get you into a good research opportunity here at UCSD. I know a lot of us who do, get paid position, doing awesome research, all started by e-mail saying "I know how to do and that, can I join your lab?". Now if you could do this starting from your Junior year (rather than Senior year) it would nice.

If you don't like above option, there's another option. Go buy yourself a electroscope from E-bay and get really good at electronics(covering Art of Electronics-student workout book by Horowitz might do it). This will get you equivalent opportunity as above.

Now, that's just something you should while spending most of your energy studying basic Physics and Mathematics.

When you come to UCSD, you will end up following regular curriculum set by Physics department until the very last few quarters. In you case, you will be taking Biophysics courses for your elective. However, in my personal opinion, following general Physics major track is better. That way you can(if you chose to) take almost any classes that are relevant to your future goal and make them elective(including Biophysics courses). For example, maybe you might want to take MRI class from bioengineering department or signal processing class from electrical engineering department. If you're physics major then you can take them and petition to make them your elective.

Anyway, Goodluck

Make sure you take some biochemistry courses and for those you need basic cell biology and organic chemistry courses as prerequisites. If you are planning to go into Biophysics after undergrad and/or modeling (maybe Mathematical Biology??) – the biochemistry courses will open up a lot more doors for you because you will be able to do basic lab work and model your results. Also find out if your Math dept offers any courses in Mathematical Biology and definitely take those.

Being another biophysics student (different university), based on your interests cognitive science courses and neural biology would be great. Additionally, if you have any system science courses offered (system science is sometimes put under dynamic systems or chaotic systems) I would take those.

It sounds like you are more interested in mathematical biology and taking the time to really grasp geometry and topology sounds like a great idea. Additionally, it seems you are also interested in signaling, which is often an interest in an EE department, so pick up a few of those while your at it.

Chemistry wise, P. Chem and O. Chem (if you can fit it in). Biochem will open doors; however, if you have the other two down you can pick up a lot of biochem while your in the lab.

Best of luck!

1. What is biophysics and why is it important?

Biophysics is the study of physical principles and techniques to understand biological systems at the molecular, cellular, and organismal level. It combines principles from physics, chemistry, and biology to explain how living organisms function. Biophysics is important because it helps us understand fundamental biological processes and has applications in fields such as medicine, drug development, and biotechnology.

2. What courses should I take at a community college to prepare for a biophysics major at UCSD?

To prepare for a biophysics major at UCSD, it is recommended to take courses in physics, biology, chemistry, and math. Some specific courses that would be beneficial include general physics, organic chemistry, calculus, and molecular biology. It is also important to maintain a high GPA in these courses to be competitive for admission to UCSD.

3. What research opportunities are available for biophysics majors at UCSD?

UCSD is a top research institution with many opportunities for biophysics majors to get involved in research. Some options include joining a research lab on campus, participating in a summer research program, or completing an independent research project with a faculty member. It is also possible to gain research experience through internships or volunteering in a lab.

4. How can I make the most out of my community college experience as a biophysics major?

To make the most out of your community college experience as a biophysics major, it is important to take challenging courses, maintain a high GPA, and get involved in research or extracurricular activities related to biophysics. You can also network with professors and peers, attend scientific conferences, and participate in science-related clubs and organizations.

5. What career opportunities are available for biophysics majors?

Biophysics majors have a wide range of career opportunities available to them, such as working in research labs, biotech or pharmaceutical companies, government agencies, or academic institutions. Some common job titles for biophysics majors include biophysicist, research scientist, medical physicist, or science writer. Graduates with a biophysics degree can also pursue advanced degrees in fields such as medicine, dentistry, or biophysics.