Majoring in Electrical Engineering

In summary, as a freshman Electrical Engineering student tasked with creating a calculus project, the conversation suggests exploring real-life applications of calculus in EE. Specific areas to consider are hardware or software, with potential project ideas such as optimization software for airline scheduling or optimizing modulation schemes for RF hardware design. Additionally, building a circuit with resistors, capacitors, and a switch can provide a practical example of using calculus to predict the behavior of the current or voltage.
juicev85
I am currently taking calculus for engineers and we are supposed to come up with a project that uses calculus to solve problems in an area we are interested in. I am majoring in Electrical Engineering, but i am only a freshman so I don't really know much yet. My problem is simple, the prof was really vague about the project, other than what i already said above, so can anyone give any suggestions for a project or point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance.

Josh

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you interested more in hardware or software EE so far? Or maybe you haven't gotten a feel yet for which way you like best? Or a combo? If hardware, do you have a specialty in mind? (RF, digital, analog, biomed, etc.?)

Calculus is about rates and integrations and optimizations, at least at the level that you are studying it. If you were interested mostly in software, for example, the highly specialized optimization software that is used for airline scheduling would be a good example to look into. If you were interested mostly in RF hardware design, then optimizing modulation schemes would be a candidate. If you're interested in biomedical EE modelling stuff, then simultaneous DiffEq and Neural Networks and thermal annealing come into play :biggrin:

i am interested in mostly the hardware side of it so far, thanks for the suggestions I will start checking into those. In the mean time if anyone else has any other suggestions for me feel free to post.

Thanks again.

You can build a simple cicruit with a resistors and capacitors or inductors connected to a switch and a battery.

When you close the switch, the current will start flowing and depending on your circuit it will increase or decrease to certain point. You could use calculus to calculate the funcion of the current or voltage to predict the behavior of your circuit.

What is Electrical Engineering?

Electrical Engineering is a field of study that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems. This includes everything from power generation and transmission to electronic devices and computer systems.

What do Electrical Engineers do?

Electrical Engineers are responsible for designing, testing, and implementing electrical systems. They work on a variety of projects, including developing new technologies, improving existing systems, and troubleshooting issues with electrical systems.

What skills are needed to major in Electrical Engineering?

To major in Electrical Engineering, you will need to have a strong foundation in math and physics. You should also have good critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as attention to detail. Additionally, it is helpful to have strong communication and teamwork skills.

What career opportunities are available for Electrical Engineering majors?

Electrical Engineering majors have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can work in industries such as energy, telecommunications, manufacturing, and aerospace. Some common job titles for Electrical Engineers include electrical design engineer, power systems engineer, and control systems engineer.

Is it a competitive major?

Yes, Electrical Engineering is a highly competitive major. It requires a lot of hard work and dedication, as well as a strong understanding of math and science. However, the job prospects for Electrical Engineers are also very promising, with a high demand for skilled professionals in various industries.