1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Majoring in math w/computational emphasis, and minors in computer science/physics

1. May 20, 2010 #1
    Hi, hoping for some help.

Major: math w/computational emphasis (emphasis on programming essentially)
    Minors: physics and computer science

I'm wondering what my job prospects are, in this difficult economy...
    (oh, and I'm a woman)

Fortunately, I live near Fargo, ND, with a better than national unemployment rate (around 4.5% unemployment, since I last checked). But this could change soon.

I started at a tech college (as a computer network security major), taking Cisco 1 and 2, Linux fundamentals, computer repair, Windows network operating systems, and a few other courses.

Then I went to the local university majoring in math with a computational emphasis. I've had, so far:
    Calc. 1, 2, and 3
    Differential equations
    Linear Algebra
    Math modeling
    Discrete math
    University (calc-based) physics 1, 2, and 3
    Modern physics (special relativity, schrodinger's wave equation, the H-atom, etc.)
    Computer science (C++ based courses) 1 and 2
    Advanced programming (C++, mostly inheritance/composition of classes, binary search trees, pointer and templated classes, advanced algorithms such as Dijkstra's algorithm, etc. ...was one of the hardest classes I ever took, harder than math or physics for me)
    Php/SQL programming class
    Networking (advanced concepts/algorithms in networking)
    Analog electronics (wiring circuit boards, using circuit components, etc.)

And additionally, I've taken some other tech college classes:
    Java programming
    C++ game programming
    Robotics

I was also a member of my physics teacher's robotics club, using the Boe-Bot (requires use of a circuit board and circuit components) and the Basic programming language

And actually, what I'm finding is I like robotics the best, yet there is no robotics major in any local college (and I would like to stay in this area).

For my major, I still have to take some math courses, such as numerical analysis, probability/stats, intermediate analysis, and a writing-intensive math class, but I'm nearly done with the math. I also have to yet take a graphical user interface programming class. For my minors there are some classes left to take as well, in particular computer architecture classes and lab-based physics classes.

But what I'm wondering is if anyone could offer some advice.
    Should I keep on pursuing the track I'm on, or should I vary it a bit? Like I mentioned, I really have a passion for robotics, but could I enter this field (I suppose of building/programming industry- or business-oriented robots, i.e. even computer controllers in autos) with the courses I have so far?
    Or should I instead be pursuing an engineering-based major?

I'm really getting worried because my college loans are piling up...
    Thank you for any advice you can offer :-)

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted