• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Majoring in math w/computational emphasis, and minors in computer science/physics

• Thread starter dydx
  • Start date
Hi, hoping for some help.

Major: math w/computational emphasis (emphasis on programming essentially)
Minors: physics and computer science

I'm wondering what my job prospects are, in this difficult economy...
(oh, and I'm a woman)

Fortunately, I live near Fargo, ND, with a better than national unemployment rate (around 4.5% unemployment, since I last checked). But this could change soon.

I started at a tech college (as a computer network security major), taking Cisco 1 and 2, Linux fundamentals, computer repair, Windows network operating systems, and a few other courses.

Then I went to the local university majoring in math with a computational emphasis. I've had, so far:
Calc. 1, 2, and 3
Differential equations
Linear Algebra
Math modeling
Discrete math
University (calc-based) physics 1, 2, and 3
Modern physics (special relativity, schrodinger's wave equation, the H-atom, etc.)
Computer science (C++ based courses) 1 and 2
Advanced programming (C++, mostly inheritance/composition of classes, binary search trees, pointer and templated classes, advanced algorithms such as Dijkstra's algorithm, etc. ...was one of the hardest classes I ever took, harder than math or physics for me)
Php/SQL programming class
Networking (advanced concepts/algorithms in networking)
Analog electronics (wiring circuit boards, using circuit components, etc.)

And additionally, I've taken some other tech college classes:
Java programming
C++ game programming
Robotics

I was also a member of my physics teacher's robotics club, using the Boe-Bot (requires use of a circuit board and circuit components) and the Basic programming language

And actually, what I'm finding is I like robotics the best, yet there is no robotics major in any local college (and I would like to stay in this area).

For my major, I still have to take some math courses, such as numerical analysis, probability/stats, intermediate analysis, and a writing-intensive math class, but I'm nearly done with the math. I also have to yet take a graphical user interface programming class. For my minors there are some classes left to take as well, in particular computer architecture classes and lab-based physics classes.

But what I'm wondering is if anyone could offer some advice.
Should I keep on pursuing the track I'm on, or should I vary it a bit? Like I mentioned, I really have a passion for robotics, but could I enter this field (I suppose of building/programming industry- or business-oriented robots, i.e. even computer controllers in autos) with the courses I have so far?
Or should I instead be pursuing an engineering-based major?

I'm really getting worried because my college loans are piling up...
Thank you for any advice you can offer :-)