Majoring in Physics: Questions About Courses & Math

• Programs
  • Thread starter physicscrap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, switching from Computer Engineering to Physics requires a strong interest in how the universe works and deep thinking skills. The main courses in an undergraduate physics program are Classical Mechanics, Optics, Statistical Mechanics/Thermodynamics, Quantum Mechanics, and Electricity and Magnetism. Students will also need to have a decent understanding of Real Analysis, Vector Analysis, and Linear Algebra, with some schools also offering advanced laboratory courses. While some classes may be more difficult than others, overall, most students find their physics courses fascinating.
physicscrap
I applied for Computer Engineering and now decided that I want to major in Physics. I have a sincere and passionate interest in how the universe works etc... I have the mind for it and love to really think deeply. I am just asking how difficult and interesting the courses are. What math do you take? Is it mostly theories? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you look at the curriculum provided by your college or university. It should tell you exactly what courses are required for their physics degree.

- Warren

The main pillars of almost all undergrad physics programs will be:

Classical Mechanics
Optics
Statistical Mechanics/Thermodynamics
Quantum Mechanics
Electricity and Magnetism

For math you will need at minimum Real Analysis, Vector Analysis, and Linear Algebra (not in the same depth that a math major would cover these, but a decent working knowledge, with more emphasis on the first two). Complex Analysis, and Tensor Analysis/Differential Geometry would also be useful, but are more often taken in graduate school, I believe (most of our students don't take them, though more have taken differential geometry than complex analysis).

Some schools will have an advanced laboratory course (ours is called Quantum Lab I-III) where you learn the process of conducting real lab research (error bars, significance of results, etc). I've been told that most undergrad departments don't have this and its usually done in graduate school (told this by seniors who found out from other students in their REUs as well as some of our newer faculty hires).

Personally I find all of my physics courses fascinating. Not so thrilled with my math classes (bored out of my mind by them actually), but that may be because (for some reason) we have to take the engineer's math classes, rather than the math majors' math classes. Some classes are more difficult than others. Our electronics course was a nightmare. I studied 15+ hours per week for that class alone, 30+ hours the weeks of exams. It was awful. Starting with Thevenin's Thm. and single battery DC circuits and going all the way to TTL digital logic circuits in 10 weeks is not fun. In contrast, my Stat Mech course is a blast.

Hope this helps some. If you have any other questions, just ask.

What courses are typically required for a physics major?

As a physics major, you can expect to take courses in mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, optics, and modern physics. You may also have to take introductory courses in chemistry and biology, as well as advanced math and computer science courses.

Is the math required for a physics major difficult?

Yes, the math required for a physics major can be challenging. You will need a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. As you progress in your major, you will also need to learn more advanced math concepts such as linear algebra, differential equations, and vector calculus.

Are there any resources available to help with the math courses?

Yes, most universities offer tutoring services and study groups for students struggling with math courses. You can also find online resources and textbooks specifically designed to help with math for physics majors.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental physics?

Theoretical physics focuses on developing and testing theories to explain natural phenomena. This involves using mathematical models and equations to make predictions about the universe. Experimental physics, on the other hand, involves conducting experiments and collecting data to test these theories.

What can I do with a physics major?

A physics major can lead to a variety of career paths, including research, teaching, engineering, and even finance. Many physics majors also pursue graduate studies in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, or engineering. The critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained from a physics major are highly valued in many industries.