Political Major: Job Options Beyond Politician

• News
  • Thread starter RiseAgainst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    politics
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of switching majors from civil engineering to government and politics. The speaker mentions that common career paths for political science majors include becoming a lawyer, working on political campaigns, or becoming a teacher or researcher. Other options include working for companies like Gallup, becoming a politician or lobbyist, or working for government agencies such as the CIA or FBI. The speaker advises against the switch, but acknowledges that the degree can open up various job opportunities.
RiseAgainst
Right now I'm going to college to major in Civil Engineering. But I've been thinking about switching my major to Government and Politics. If I do switch to that major what are some interesting jobs that I could get other than becoming a politician?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't do it!

whs said:
Don't do it!

I second that.

I must admit, though...I really have no idea what kind of job a political science major would do.

http://money.cnn.com/2000/09/08/career/q_degreepoliticalscience/

Apparently it is common for poli sci majors to go into law and become lawyers. There are all sorts of other jobs you can do that are related to the field though from working on political campaigns to being a reporter. The degree can help you get pretty much any sort of job but I am assuming you are interested in field specific occupations?

You can also become a teacher or researcher. You could work for companies like Gallup that do polling and similar activities. You could become a politician or a politicians assistant/aid. You could become a lobbyist. You could work for any number of government agencies, possibly even ones such as the CIA and FBI. These may require background in the military, law enforcement, or as a lawyer and even as just an analyst you would likely have a better chance with such on your resume.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Apparently it is common for poli sci majors to go into law and become lawyers. There are all sorts of other jobs you can do that are related to the field though from working on political campaigns to being a reporter. The degree can help you get pretty much any sort of job but I am assuming you are interested in field specific occupations?

You can also become a teacher or researcher. You could work for companies like Gallup that do polling and similar activities. You could become a politician or a politicians assistant/aid. You could become a lobbyist. You could work for any number of government agencies, possibly even ones such as the CIA and FBI. These may require background in the military, law enforcement, or as a lawyer and even as just an analyst you would likely have a better chance with such on your resume.

Thanks, I didn't realize all of the career opportunities that came along with that major. I still haven't decided what to do but this will definitely help me to make a better informed decision.

What can I do with a political science major besides becoming a politician?

A political science major can lead to a variety of career options. Some common career paths include working in government, law, business, journalism, and non-profit organizations.

What skills do I develop as a political science major?

As a political science major, you will develop critical thinking, research, and analysis skills. You will also gain a deep understanding of political systems, policies, and international relations. Additionally, you will develop strong communication and writing skills.

Can I pursue a career in law with a political science major?

Yes, a political science major is a common path for students interested in pursuing a career in law. The skills and knowledge gained in this major, such as critical thinking and researching, are highly valued in the legal field.

What government jobs are available for political science majors?

Political science majors can work in various government agencies, such as the State Department, the CIA, or the Department of Defense. They can also work for local or state governments in roles such as policy analysts, legislative aides, or campaign managers.

Is a graduate degree required for career advancement in political science?

While a graduate degree can be beneficial for career advancement in political science, it is not always necessary. Many entry-level positions in government, non-profit organizations, and businesses only require a bachelor's degree. However, a graduate degree can provide more opportunities for higher-level positions and higher salaries.