Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Make a toy piston

1. Oct 30, 2015 #1
    I would like to make a simple piston from cans. Two cans. The problem is the inner can has to be thousands of an inch smaller (diameter) from the exterior for better sliding. Solution? Add a ring would not help much unless both are within a fraction of an inch.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2015 #2
    When you say cans, do you mean normal coke cans? What the purpose behind making the piston? Normal coke cans don't have much strength.

If you could use a narrower can like one of the coffee drinks or something like that, those cans I think might give you a bit more rigidity for the cylinder. The piston itself could be molded from epoxy putty. Look for a video on youtube about using epoxy putty to make pistons.

4. Oct 30, 2015 #3
    The purpose of making a piston is to demonstrate that it can create vacuum inside piston when pulling down providing its top can is Sealed. Also, show If not sealed, pulling will be no problem because of surrounding air pressure around it is in equilibrium.

I will look for epoxy putty on a video. I hope it can show the demo.

5. Oct 30, 2015 #4
    Vacuum inside piston?
    You mean a cylinder with sliding piston, maybe?

6. Oct 30, 2015 #5
    Between the top of cylinder (piston) and the top of the bore. As the piston slides down, the space creates between the top of the sliding piston and the top of bore. It cannot be inside the piston; all solid like epoxy putty. I just saw the video.

7. Oct 30, 2015 #6
    Is cylinder a bore?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook