Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Make a transmiter

1. Jun 28, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

To start with you only have 50Mtrs of copper wire nothing else, all you have is what occures in nature, can you build a transmiter?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

You're certainly no Russell Johnson. Everyone knows that all you need is a couple of coconuts. :tongue:

4. Jun 28, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Hmmm, while Danger is playing with nuts any one have ideas.

5. Jun 28, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Apparently you never got "Gilligan's Island" over there... you lucky bastard! (Russell Johnson played 'the Professor'.)
    I guess that you could just use salt water or citrus juice as an electrolyte with dissimilar metal strips for a battery and a spark gap to emit an EM signal. Maybe some quartz or such-like for tuning if you're picky.

6. Jun 28, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would find someone on the island who is desperately in need of 50 meters of copper wire, and offer to trade it for a working transmitter.

- Warren

7. Jun 28, 2006 #6
    I am afraid that is hard

8. Jun 28, 2006 #7
    I emailed Richard Dean Anderson this question and he said yes, if you also have a qtip and a pack of gum.

9. Jun 28, 2006 #8
    :rofl: good one.

10. Jun 28, 2006 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Never heard of him, i think gilligans island was on when i was a kid, but that would make it so old how would any one remember it?

11. Jun 28, 2006 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is that? A circular saw that cuts along two perpendicular directions? :wink:

12. Jun 28, 2006 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Ok, Ok, i am off to commit harry carry.

13. Jun 28, 2006 #12
    lol

A copper wire is itself a transmitter, since a transmitter is simply a means of tranmitting a communication signal from source to destination. All you would need is a peice of string and a coconut, or a copper wire and two halves of a coconut :P Like the shoestring-bean-can phone.

Maybe you mean a radio transmitter?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  14. Jun 29, 2006 #13

Danger

Gold Member

****, you're irritating! Of course he means radio; otherwise, one's own vocal chords are a transmitter. (Some more than others, as I can attest by W shrieking at me to drop my beer and come to bed. :cool: ) Catch you tomorrow.

15. Jun 29, 2006 #14
    I've read that if you heat a metal rod at one end a voltage develops between the hot and cold ends. I don't know how much voltage one could expect but it seems that if you wind your wire into a coil, heat one of the free ends, and touch it to the cold end, a momentary current should flow. When current flows in the coil, of course, an EM pulse is produced. In this way you might be able to tap the hot end against the cold and transmit some morse code.

16. Jun 29, 2006 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Typical thermoEMF values are way smaller than a millivolt per kelvin. If heated through say, 500K (which is about the temperature that copper starts to get soft), you could make maybe a couple of tens of millivolts.

17. Jun 29, 2006 #16
    Wow. I was thinking you'd get two or three volts, which is already probably not strong enough to send an SOS from Gilligan's Island.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?