Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Make Integral Sign Larger

1. Jul 17, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I know that I am asking too many questions these days, but I really need these helps, and I think this forum can do that.

My problem is: I have equations that when I wrote using Latex, the integral sign seems very small relative to other terms. How can I make it larger?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2009 #2
    The best answer I can give you so far is to look into the \DeclareMathSizes command. This needs to go in your preamble, and lets you redefine the size of the object when in display mode, inline text mode, sub/superscript, and nested sub/superscripts.

Code (Text):

%put this in your preamble, and fiddle with the last three parameters for each line
    \DeclareMathSizes{10}{18}{12}{8}   % For size 10 text
    \DeclareMathSizes{11}{19}{13}{9}   % For size 11 text
    \DeclareMathSizes{12}{20}{14}{10}  % For size 12 text

For more info, check out http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Advanced_Mathematics#Changing_font_size

4. Jul 17, 2009 #3

minger

Science Advisor

What are you using for your integral? When I typically use it, it displays a fine, normal size:
    [tex]
    \begin{equation}
    \int \sin(x)\,dx = -\cos(x)
    \end{equation}
    \begin{equation}
    \int \frac{1}{x}\,dx = \ln(x)
    \end{equation}
    [/tex]

5. Jul 17, 2009 #4
    What do think about this?

attachment.php?attachmentid=19755&stc=1&d=1247862524.jpg

I am using the \int control sequence.

Regards

Attached Files:

6. Jul 18, 2009 #5
    It looks perfectly legible to me, both in the forums and in your attachment. You would prefer to see the integral extend above and below the fraction?

I was pondering this, and maybe there's a way to custom design the rubber length parenthesis. You know the commands \left(, \left\[, left\{, \left<, \left., and their \right counterparts? These expand to fit the contents. Maybe if you could custom define a \left\int, the \int sign will rubberband to expand to the right size.

Every time you use a \left command, you need to close it with a \right command. The . is great for doing this if you don't want something to appear on the opposite side.

[tex]
    \begin{equation}
    \begin{split}
    g(x) &= \int_0^\infty \left(\frac{ \frac{ \frac{1}{1 + x} }{ 2 + x} }{3 + x}\right) dx\\
    &= \int_0^\infty \frac{df(x)}{dx}dx\\
    &= \left. f(x) \right|_0^\infty
    \end{split}
    \end{equation}
    [/tex]

The first line looks kinda bad, so if the \int could expand in the same way the parenthesis are, it would be great.

7. Jul 20, 2009 #6

minger

Science Advisor

One problem which I think makes it "look" smaller is the limits.
    [tex]
    \begin{equation}
    f(x) = \int_0^1 \sin(x)\,dx
    \end{equation}
    \begin{equation}
    g(x) = \int\limits_0^1 \cos(x)\,dx
    \end{equation}
    [/tex]
    Try using the \limits on your \int to put the limits above the integral sign, makes it look better IMHO.
    Code (Text):

\begin{equation}
    f(x) = \int_0^1 \sin(x)\,dx
    \end{equation}
    \begin{equation}
    g(x) = \int\limits_0^1 \cos(x)\,dx
    \end{equation}

8. Jul 20, 2009 #7
    Good to know that, it is useful in some cases for sure. For my case, it still small even though. Anyway, thanks minger for this information.

Regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook