Make Sure You Check With Your Doctor To See If You Need A Third Jab

• COVID
  • Thread starter bhobba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doctor
In summary, Australia has started giving 3rd jabs to those whose second dose was six months or over. For people immunocompromised, it is two months. My dose was such that neither qualified me, but I thought it best to check with my doctor anyway. To my surprise, he booked me in for the third jab the next day at the clinic. Individually my medication did not qualify me, but taken together is at the doctor's discretion. So I now have the third jab, this time of Pfizer, and will be getting a fourth in 6 months. The moral is it is always wise to check with your doctor. Thanks
Australia has started giving 3rd jabs to those whose second dose was six months or over. For people immunocompromised, it is two months. I take immunosuppressive medication so checked if the amount I took was enough for the third dose. I take two such medications - Methodrexate and Cosentyx. My doses were such that neither qualified me, but I thought it best to check with my doctor anyway.

To my surprise, he booked me in for the third jab the next day at the clinic. Individually my medication did not qualify me, but taken together is at the doctor's discretion. So I now have the third jab, this time of Pfizer, and will be getting a fourth in 6 months.

The moral is it is always wise to check with your doctor.

Thanks
Bill

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
Biology news on Phys.org
The policy, as stated about two weeks ago, for my province in Canada is that anyone 12 or older can have a third jab 6 to 8 eight months after a second jab. If they follow through with this, I will get a third jab in January or February, as I had my second on July 1st.

Likes pinball1970 and bhobba
George Jones said:
The policy, as stated about two weeks ago, for my province in Canada is that anyone 12 or older can have a third jab 6 to 8 eight months after a second jab.

Same in Aus - everyone gets the third dose 6 months after the second. But they are more aggressive with those more at risk eg immunocompromised etc. You get the third dose at 2 months after, and the fourth 6 months later. My doctor had leukemia about 18 years ago. Although he is now cured that puts him in the high-risk category and he already had the third dose when I saw him. IMHO both Aus and Canada has made the right decision with third doses. The data from Israel suggests excellent outcomes even just a week after the third dose:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02249-2/fulltext#seccestitle140

There was some evidence protection was better still when more than a week.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Australia has started giving 3rd jabs to those whose second dose was six months or over. For people immunocompromised, it is two months. I take immunosuppressive medication so checked if the amount I took was enough for the third dose. I take two such medications - Methodrexate and Cosentyx. My doses were such that neither qualified me, but I thought it best to check with my doctor anyway.

To my surprise, he booked me in for the third jab the next day at the clinic. Individually my medication did not qualify me, but taken together is at the doctor's discretion. So I now have the third jab, this time of Pfizer, and will be getting a fourth in 6 months.

The moral is it is always wise to check with your doctor.

Thanks
Bill

Third booked 8.12.21, however I am waiting on a possible positive PCR from last Thursday. If that comes back positive do you think A/ I will still need the booster B/ Still be offered the booster? I can check next week with the clinic but I would like your view, pf view in terms of my potential immune status.

Likes Astronuc
pinball1970 said:
Third booked 8.12.21, however I am waiting on a possible positive PCR from last Thursday. If that comes back positive do you think A/ I will still need the booster B/ Still be offered the booster? I can check next week with the clinic but I would like your view, pf view in terms of my potential immune status.
I think you could wait 3-6 months before taking it, since being infected is like getting a booster.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.10.18.21265113v1
Immune Responses in Fully Vaccinated Individuals Following Breakthrough Infection with the SARS-CoV-2 Delta Variant in Provincetown, Massachusetts
"Vaccinated individuals who tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 demonstrated substantially higher antibody responses than vaccinated individuals who tested negative for SARS-CoV-2, including 28-fold higher binding antibody titers and 34-fold higher neutralizing antibody titers against the SARS-CoV-2 delta variant. Vaccinated individuals who tested positive also showed 4.4-fold higher Spike-specific CD8+ T cell responses against the SARS-CoV-2 delta variant than vaccinated individuals who tested negative."

• Informative
Likes bhobba, Astronuc and pinball1970
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation and cleanup...

Likes pinball1970 and Astronuc
After a cleanup and a ban of a problematic new user, the thread is re-opened.

Likes pinball1970 and Astronuc
Good to hear you're boosted, @bhobba, I'm waiting for my 6-month window to expire, but am very pleased the Feds are following the science on a booster...and have lined up enough vaccine so we're not repeating the mixed messaging of "It's not a race" when it clearly was.

But how do you feel now that daily numbers are not highlighted in news reporting? Our case load in Melbourne is trending down, but is still consistently higher per day than last year when we went into Lockdown 1.0, yet we're behaving as if Covid is beat! It seems inconsistent on so many levels.

Melbourne Guy said:
But how do you feel now that daily numbers are not highlighted in news reporting?
A little concerned because case numbers play a significant role in the psychology of people deciding to get vaccinated. I think we are in generally good shape here in Aus with third doses and the government saying once approved, which likely will be early next year, those five and over will be vaccinated. Closing in on 90% fully vaccinated for 12 and over. Only 6% of the population is under 5, and with the third dose at least 95% effective against delta, fingers crossed, we may get heard immunity. Then we can concentrate on vaccinating the rest of the world. I get a bit frustrated at explaining basic probability to people that think if you are vaccinated, it doesn't matter if who they are sitting next to are vaccinated or not. You have an 88% less chance of catching it. If you sit next to a vaccinated person, they have 88% less chance of having it and a 50% less chance of passing it on if they do. Taken together, this gives about a 98% less chance of getting it - which is 10% better. I do not know if that difference is enough for vaccine mandates, such as not entering a restaurant unless vaccinated. That is for the courts to decide. But it does make a difference.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Melbourne Guy
All adults in the US are now eligible to get booster doses of all the approved COVID-19 vaccines:
U.S. regulators expanded eligibility for booster shots of COVID-19 vaccines to all adults on Friday, allowing millions more Americans to get additional protection against the virus amid a recent rise in infections.

The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Rochelle Walensky, signed off on the expanded eligibility on Friday evening after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration broadened its authorization of booster doses to all adults who had received their second shot of either the Pfizer (PFE.N)/BioNTech or Moderna Inc (MRNA.O) vaccine at least six months prior.

Regulators had previously authorized boosters for all recipients of Johnson & Johnson's (JNJ.N) one-dose vaccine, two months after their primary dose.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/covid-19-boosters-for-all-discussion-moves-cdc-2021-11-19/

Here are the CDC guidelines for booster shots:
1637442737476.png

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

Likes atyy, bhobba and OmCheeto
Glad to see they have my case covered (on immunosuppression medication):
'People who are ages 18 years and older may  get a booster shot based on their individual risks and benefits. This recommendation may change in the future as more data become available.'

I think we can rely on doctors to make the right choice. Sometimes I think here in Aus; we prescribe things too much rather than leave it to a persons doctor.

Thanks
Bill

The CDC noted too much confusion in the populace as to who & when to get a booster, so they simplified it: 18 or older and 6 months after fully stabbed.

From the US CDC dated Friday, Nov. 19,2021:
...expanded recommendations for booster shots to include all adults ages 18 years and older who received a Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine at least six months after their second dose.
(https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1119-booster-shots.html)

For possible reactions/side effects, see:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...9-vaccine-or-what-to-be-prepared-for.1000764/

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:
Likes bhobba

1. What is a third jab and why do I need it?

A third jab refers to a third dose of a vaccine, also known as a booster shot. It is recommended for certain individuals to help boost their immune response and provide additional protection against a specific disease.

2. Who should get a third jab?

The decision to get a third jab should be discussed with your doctor. Generally, individuals who are immunocompromised or at higher risk for severe illness may benefit from a third jab. This includes older adults, individuals with underlying health conditions, and frontline workers.

3. When should I get a third jab?

The timing of a third jab may vary depending on the specific vaccine and individual circumstances. Your doctor will be able to provide you with the best recommendation for when to get your third jab.

4. Is a third jab safe?

The safety of a third jab depends on the specific vaccine being administered. However, all vaccines go through rigorous testing and approval processes before being made available to the public. The benefits of getting a third jab may outweigh any potential risks, especially for those at higher risk of severe illness.

5. Will a third jab protect me against new variants?

While a third jab may provide additional protection against new variants, it is important to continue following all recommended precautions, such as wearing masks and practicing social distancing. Vaccines are constantly being monitored and updated to provide the best protection against emerging variants.