Can Random Methods and Limits Improve My Understanding of Numbers?

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with a math problem involving limits and someone suggesting to rationalize the denominator to solve it. The person also mentions using resources like Khan Academy for further understanding. The conversation ends with a real life example of limits.
Oh the irony
Can someone give me a little test problem? An easy one please, I'm new to this lol.
Make the method random, so I have to try all three. Sub,Fac,Conj

Physics news on Phys.org

Oh the irony said:
Can someone give me a little test problem? An easy one please, I'm new to this lol.
Make the method random, so I have to try all three. Sub,Fac,Conj

[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow 4}\frac {2x-8}{\sqrt x - 2}[/tex]

LCKurtz said:
[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow 4}\frac {2x-8}{\sqrt x - 2}[/tex]
Uhh, I doubt I got it right lol butttt0/2?

If I didn't get it right, can you show me how to do it please? I'm trying to learn calculus by myself... lol I know. I just really want to learn it.

No, that isn't right. And even though it's wrong, you would normally simplify 0/2 wouldn't you?

I'll give you a hint. Try rationalizing the denominator.

LCKurtz said:
No, that isn't right. And even though it's wrong, you would normally simplify 0/2 wouldn't you?

I'll give you a hint. Try rationalizing the denominator.

lol, Like I said.. Can you show me how to do it.

I seriously just kinda started learning this stuff by myself. I can grasp it, if someone can show me the steps. If I can see the steps, I can understand it. Unless there are certain rules of course that go along with it but those are technically steps.

I don't see how I can rationalize it.

Haha, that kind of problem haunted me for a long time.

It is specifically because of those problems I appreciate the beauty of the number 1 and the amazing cleverness of it. It also illuminated all that complex multiplication I memorized without a thought to the why :biggrin:

Anyway, www.khanacademy.org has some amazing videos on limits, you should watch them all to get a grasp of what you're doing.

I'll quote something from my book that I think was just a great real life description of limits;

Let us imagine a traveller on a train due in New York at 5:17pm.
He must be there on time, so he continually looks at his watch and checks with the timetable.
He notices:
5.01pm the train is 10 miles out.
5:10pm, the train is 1 mile out.
5:17 exactly the train pulls up at its platform in Grand Central Terminal.

As the distance between the train station and the passenger approaches zero, the time reaches the maximum time allowed: 5:17

1. What does it mean to "make the method random"?

When we say "make the method random", it means implementing a method in a way that produces a result that cannot be predicted or controlled. This is typically done by using a random number generator or incorporating elements of randomness into the method's logic.

2. Why is it important to make methods random in scientific research?

In scientific research, making methods random is important because it helps to reduce bias and increase the validity of the results. By introducing randomness, we can ensure that the results are not influenced by any outside factors or personal preferences.

3. How can we make a method random?

There are several ways to make a method random, such as using a random number generator, incorporating random elements into the method's logic, or randomly selecting data points from a larger sample. It ultimately depends on the specific method and its purpose.

4. Are there any drawbacks to making methods random?

While making methods random can be beneficial in reducing bias, there are also potential drawbacks. For example, if the randomness is not properly controlled, it can lead to unreliable or inconsistent results. Additionally, it may be more difficult to replicate the results if the method is heavily reliant on randomness.

5. In what fields of science is it most common to make methods random?

Making methods random is commonly used in various fields of science, such as psychology, biology, and economics. In these fields, it is important to control for external factors and reduce bias in order to obtain reliable and valid results.