Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Make the method random

1. Apr 2, 2010 #1
    Can someone give me a little test problem? An easy one please, I'm new to this lol.
    Make the method random, so I have to try all three. Sub,Fac,Conj

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Limits

[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow 4}\frac {2x-8}{\sqrt x - 2}[/tex]

4. Apr 3, 2010 #3

Uhh, I doubt I got it right lol butttt

0/2?

If I didn't get it right, can you show me how to do it please? I'm trying to learn calculus by myself... lol I know. I just really want to learn it.

5. Apr 3, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, that isn't right. And even though it's wrong, you would normally simplify 0/2 wouldn't you?

I'll give you a hint. Try rationalizing the denominator.

6. Apr 3, 2010 #5

lol, Like I said.. Can you show me how to do it.

I seriously just kinda started learning this stuff by myself. I can grasp it, if someone can show me the steps. If I can see the steps, I can understand it. Unless there are certain rules of course that go along with it but those are technically steps.

I don't see how I can rationalize it.

7. Apr 3, 2010 #6

Haha, that kind of problem haunted me for a long time.

It is specifically because of those problems I appreciate the beauty of the number 1 and the amazing cleverness of it. It also illuminated all that complex multiplication I memorized without a thought to the why :biggrin:

Anyway, www.khanacademy.org has some amazing videos on limits, you should watch them all to get a grasp of what you're doing.

I'll quote something from my book that I think was just a great real life description of limits;

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook