Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Make Your Own Brush Shelter

1. May 24, 2005 #1
    No one's in a better position to do this right now than Evo, but anyone with somewhat of a yard might be able to atract some critters:

Brush Pile - Backyard Wildlife Habitat Program - National Wildlife Federation

Some communities do not allow brush shelters, and some neighbors might not undertand their value. Check you local codes and notify your neighbors if the brush pile will be highly visible.
    Place your shelter on the edge between two habitats - these "ecotones" house the most wildlife.
    Make sure at least half of your shelter receives direct sunlight - many animals love to bask.
    Use stone piles in your shelter as part of the base to create hiding places and along the edges to serve as basking sites.
    Plant native flowering/fruiting vines to sprawl over the shelter to attract hummingbirds and songbirds.
    Weave evergreen branches into the roof of your shelter in the Winter to provide cover from snow/ice storms.
    Add old pipes to your shelter's base to serve as tunnels for rodents, reptiles and amphibians.
    Last edited: May 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2005 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, look - it's Zooby's house!
  4. May 24, 2005 #3
    But that's NOT my dog!
  5. May 24, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why build a brush shelter?

Why not just keep them in the broom cupboard like everyone else?
  6. May 24, 2005 #5
    That's my dog.

I sent him to the brush shelter to get me a water color brush.
  7. May 24, 2005 #6
    Why won't he leave? I keep telling him "Make your own brush shelter!"
  8. May 24, 2005 #7

Gold Member

I'm gonna go collect sticks for this. maybe I can catch a PF member lurking around. Oh, crap, we have the homeowner's association in our neighborhood, I'm not sure if they allow it. I'll have to check, but then again...

Why bother? :devil:
  9. May 24, 2005 #8
    It's just that I've never seen any zoobies using the shelter so I assumed it was abandoned. Didn't want all those brushes to get all crusty.
  10. May 24, 2005 #9
    Last edited: May 24, 2005
  11. May 24, 2005 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I can supply lots of brushes! I work for a brush manufacturer
  12. May 24, 2005 #11
    I, and the rest of the zoobies, are becoming very tired of that joke.
  13. May 24, 2005 #12

Gold Member

So can I send you the 60 pounds of cat hair that Lucy sheds every month?
  14. May 24, 2005 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm doing my part by donating my fence as a termite habitat. :approve:
  15. May 25, 2005 #14
    the next story will demonstrate my extreme hick-ism:
    One weekend (cold and rainy) i determined that i was going to 'rough it', so i did. i rounded up my millitary surplus gear and a couple MREs (Meal- Ready to -eat(millitary ration)) and headed off into the woods. that was friday night, i built a shelter, boiled some H20, built a fire, and slept there that night and saturday night, and left for home sunday morning. it was a peaceful and quite cool experience (except for the freak mountain storm on saturday) and i had a fun time. next time, i will bring a zippo, lighting fires by sparking flint and steel is a *****.

16. May 25, 2005 #15
    Actually, that sounds like a very cool camping experience. Next time don't just bring a zippo, bring some real food. Gots the makings of a great time if you know how to build a brush shelter. (Don't need to lug a tent.)
  17. May 25, 2005 #16
    actually, the MREs i had were quite swell, some random italian food with chicken, and if you get the heaters that have an extothermic reaction when you mix them with water they are hot too! the old MREs are sucky, and you have to know which ones are good. italian stuff is usually good.

18. May 25, 2005 #17
    You didn't build a fire?
  19. May 25, 2005 #18
    i did, as i said in my first post.
  20. May 25, 2005 #19
    You did say that, yes. What was the function of the exothermic heater thingies?
  21. May 25, 2005 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Man build fire. Man no cook. *grunt grunt* :biggrin: :rofl:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?