Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maker of Bulletproof Vest May Face Charges

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

By JOHN SOLOMON, Associated Press Writer
    Mon Sep 26, 8:37 AM ET
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050926/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/bulletproof_vests_3

:rolleyes:

And how many of these are not protecting the US forces in Iraq?

Company executive bonuses vs safety and how many lives?

Do we really need government regulation (I suppose it would cost too much)? Now who was saying, "Get the government off the backs of small business." After all these guys are honest, right? It would be ironic if the company president supports Bush and is a registered Republican.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2
    Body armor is typically uncomfortable and conspicuous. The purpose of Zylon is to provide a "lighter and more wearable alternative".

secondchance.com/zylon.asp

4. Sep 27, 2005 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This is roughly equivalent to the Morton Thiokol scandal with the space shuttle Challenger. GOOGLE

Some businessmen will never learn: when lives are at stake, the engineering is non-negotiable.

Regarding the law: it is tough for laws to be able to prevent such things, you can only hope they will be adequately punished for it. And I suspect the company, at least, will. The execs themselves will probably not be prosecuted. Charging executives with murder for putting out a product that they know is flawed only happens on "Law and Order", though I'm really not sure why.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?