Help Solving a Concentrated Stock Solution Problem

• Thread starter babbagee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving the concentration of acetic acid and the amount of 10N NaOH needed to create a 1M Sodium acetate buffer at pH 4.8. The equation for the reaction is also mentioned, as well as the suggestion to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to determine the concentration of acetic acid. The conversation concludes with a reminder to read about normality and a suggestion to calculate the ratio of CH3COO- and CH3COOH, and then use it to determine the amount of NaOH needed for neutralization.
babbagee
I need help solving this problem

Acetic acid has a pka of 4.8. If you are making up a concentrated stock solution of 1M Sodium acetate buffer at pH 4.8, starting with acetic acid, how many ml of 10N NaOH will you have to add?

first 10N NaOH is the same thing as 10M right, I never learned those units and don't know what they are.

This is the equation that I came up with for the reaction
CH3COOH + NaOH --> CH3COO- + H2O

I really don't know how to go about doing this problem, I am thinking that i need to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation which will tell me the concentration of the acetic acid. Can some one point me in the right direction because i really don't know what to do after that.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Read about normality.

Yes, you have to use H-H equation. Calculate ratio of CH3COO- and CH3COOH. Then assume that all CH3COO- are from neutralized acetic acid - and calculate amount of NaOH needed for this neutralization.

I would suggest using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to calculate the concentration of acetic acid in the buffer solution. This equation relates the pH, pKa, and the ratio of the concentrations of the acid and its conjugate base. Once you have the concentration of acetic acid, you can use the molarity equation (M = mol/L) to calculate the volume of 10N NaOH needed to reach a final concentration of 1M sodium acetate buffer at pH 4.8. Additionally, it is important to note that 10N NaOH is equivalent to 10M NaOH, as the "N" stands for normality and is a unit used in acid-base titrations. I hope this helps guide you in solving the problem.

1. How do I calculate the amount of solute needed to make a concentrated stock solution?

To calculate the amount of solute needed, you will need to know the desired concentration of the stock solution, the volume of the solution you want to make, and the molar mass of the solute. You can use the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the final concentration, and V2 is the final volume.

2. What is the difference between a concentrated stock solution and a diluted solution?

A concentrated stock solution has a high concentration of solute, while a diluted solution has a lower concentration. A concentrated stock solution is typically used to make multiple diluted solutions, whereas a diluted solution is ready for immediate use.

3. Can I use any solute to make a concentrated stock solution?

No, the solute used to make a concentrated stock solution should be easily dissolvable in the solvent and should not react with the solvent or container. It is also important to consider the stability of the solute and its compatibility with other solutions it may come into contact with.

4. How do I properly label my concentrated stock solution?

It is important to label your concentrated stock solution with the name of the solute, its concentration, the date it was made, and any necessary safety precautions. This will ensure the solution is easily identifiable and used correctly.

5. How do I determine the concentration of my stock solution?

The concentration of a stock solution can be determined by dividing the amount of solute used to make the solution by the total volume of the solution. This will give you the molarity of the stock solution. Alternatively, you can use a spectrophotometer to measure the absorbance of the solution and calculate the concentration based on the Beer-Lambert Law.