1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a buffer

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1
    I need help solving this problem

Acetic acid has a pka of 4.8. If you are making up a concentrated stock solution of 1M Sodium acetate buffer at pH 4.8, starting with acetic acid, how many ml of 10N NaOH will you have to add?

first 10N NaOH is the same thing as 10M right, I never learned those units and dont know what they are.

This is the equation that I came up with for the reaction
    CH3COOH + NaOH --> CH3COO- + H2O

I really dont know how to go about doing this problem, I am thinking that i need to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation which will tell me the concentration of the acetic acid. Can some one point me in the right direction because i really dont know what to do after that.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Read about normality.

Yes, you have to use H-H equation. Calculate ratio of CH3COO- and CH3COOH. Then assume that all CH3COO- are from neutralized acetic acid - and calculate amount of NaOH needed for this neutralization.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?