1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a DC motor

1. Dec 8, 2012 #1
    Hi there
    Currently in my physics class my teacher has assigned us a project where we are to make a DC motor using these items:

2 thumbtacks
    1 meter of 14 AWG copper wire
    2 paperclips
    A block of wood
    1 ceramic magnet
    1 AA battery
    2 connecting wires

My plan is something like this picture
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3156/2864655414_234d5d3207.jpg

but I was wonder if I could get any tips on how to increase the rmp to maybe something over 5000?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2012 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You could try increasing the number batteries, how much you wind the coil, the strength of the magnet.

4. Dec 8, 2012 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You will have considerable difficulty getting the commutator to work with just those materials. Also, the heavy wire will take a terrible toll on the battery - I hope you are allowed to trade in your dead ones.

5. Dec 9, 2012 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interestingly... The fewer turns the faster the motor should spin.

This is because a DC motor accelerates until the back EMFequals the applied voltage and the back emf is proportional to the number of turns. More turns means a lower rpm is required to produce a the required back EMF. For a low power motor affected by friction and air drag it might not be quite that simple so experiment in both directions. Balancing the rotor might be an issue for high rpm.

6. Dec 9, 2012 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint. The wire is probably enameled.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook