Making a Dobsonian Telescope DIY

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of making a Dobsonian telescope, specifically a 6" f/8 with a secondary mirror. The size and distance of the secondary mirror from the primary is crucial for the telescope's effective aperture, and a fully illuminated field of view requires a secondary mirror with a minor axis of 1-1/4". It is recommended to purchase the secondary mirror rather than attempting to figure it yourself. The conversation ends with a personal anecdote about the valuable learning experience of building a telescope.
Shreyas Shree
I am going to make a Dobsonian telescope. Primarily a 6" f/8. I have no idea what the secondary mirror size would be an its distance from the centre of the primary. I have been told that if the secondary is too small then the effective aperture would be reduced. And i do not understancd these terms: central obstruction and secondary offset.
Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
For a 6" f8 primary, the secondary needs a minor axis of about 1-1/4" for a fully illuminated [captures the entire light cone of the primary] field of view. Frankly, I would just buy the secondary. Figuring optical flats is more tedious than figuring a parabolic primary and the flat should be corrected to double that of the primary - i.e., a 1/8 wave primary needs a 1/16 wave secondary. I mentioned 1/8 wave because that is about as good as can be achieved on most home brew primary mirrors. You can get a secondary mirror like this for about $50 from Antares.

Likes Patzee
We had a chance to make a 6" telescope in class run by Dobson himself. Lot of work, but so worth it. Not sure we saved any money, but really learned a lot.

Likes Shreyas Shree
Patzee said:
...but really learned a lot.

Well done ! ... And that is the sole reason for building your own scope :smile:Dave

1. What materials do I need to make a DIY Dobsonian telescope?

To make a DIY Dobsonian telescope, you will need the following materials:- Primary mirror- Secondary mirror- Telescope tube- Focuser- Eyepieces- Mounting platform- Wood or metal for the base and mount- Tools such as a drill, saw, and screws- Optional: telescope accessories such as a collimator, finder scope, and motorized tracking system.

2. How long does it take to make a DIY Dobsonian telescope?

The time it takes to make a DIY Dobsonian telescope can vary depending on your experience and the complexity of the design. Some people may be able to complete the project in a weekend, while others may take a few weeks. It is important to plan and set aside enough time to properly construct and align the telescope for optimal performance.

3. Can I use a regular mirror for the primary mirror of a DIY Dobsonian telescope?

It is not recommended to use a regular mirror for the primary mirror of a DIY Dobsonian telescope. Regular mirrors are often made with thinner glass and may not have the precision and quality needed for a telescope. It is best to use a specially made telescope mirror for optimal results.

4. What is the cost of making a DIY Dobsonian telescope?

The cost of making a DIY Dobsonian telescope can vary depending on the materials and accessories you choose to use. On average, it can cost anywhere from $200 to $500. However, if you have some materials on hand and are able to source others at a lower cost, you may be able to make the telescope for less.

5. Do I need any special skills or knowledge to make a DIY Dobsonian telescope?

While having some basic woodworking and metalworking skills can be helpful, you do not need to be an expert to make a DIY Dobsonian telescope. There are many resources available online and in books that provide step-by-step instructions for constructing a telescope. It is important to have patience and attention to detail when building the telescope for optimal performance.