Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a Graphene suit

Tags:
  1. May 11, 2016 #1
    So I have heard about graphene and its properties recentlty and more specifically its ability to resist tearing. With this in mind (and a video from the YouTube channel "Film Theory") I believed it was possible to stack layers of graphene so that they can resist things like bullets. But I recently saw in a video that Graphite is basically made up of Graphene layes but it doesn't have the flexibility and strength of the individual layer. So I was wondering if it was possible for Graphene layers to be somehow stacked so that they both keep their properties and don't join to form Graphite. If yes then it should be able to be weaved into a suit (I think).

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2016 #2

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The actual structure of graphene only consists of one layer. If it has multiple layers, then it's not graphene anymore.

4. May 11, 2016 #3
    Yes, but what if you had multiple layers with something in between (the suit only needs the elasticity and strength) would that be viable? (and thin like a latex-suit or something of the sort?)

5. May 11, 2016 #4

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

6. May 11, 2016 #5
    Ok so just 1 thing left to tackle: Can you put a layer outside of the suit or will anything happen to it if it is exposed (I ask since placing something else outside with make it take damage when, say a bullet hits it but should the Graphene layer be hit first the rest won't take that much "damage").

7. May 11, 2016 #6

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

There probably should an exterior layer ahead of the graphene layers, and that wouldn't affect the performance of the vest at all. It's always the things you don't see that counts.

As for what the material layer should be, there are plenty of options.

8. May 11, 2016 #7
    Thank you very much, your knowledge is absoutely fascinating!

9. May 11, 2016 #8

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Poor guy, how you're mislead on that note :wink:

10. May 11, 2016 #9
    I am sorry to bother again just one quick question: Applying all of the above along with custom made tech and carbon nanotubes for the harder parts would I be able to create this (not going to just asking :biggrin: (yea right!)):
    latest?cb=20151020013648.png

11. May 11, 2016 #10

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Dude! I have no idea :biggrin: That's pretty ambitious ...

12. May 11, 2016 #11
    :DD I know but it could be put into great use :biggrin:. Again thanks a lot mate!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted