1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a Math computer program

1. Nov 24, 2004 #1
    Hi,
    I just some ideas for what should I put in my math program. All I need is some forumlas.So far I got the cross-multiply,average and the taxes.
    program.jpg
    I'll remove the fat ronald afterwards. When I am going to be done, I can post it my program for download.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2004 #2

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Quadratic formula

Some hard ones:
    Derive (polynomials only would be easy)
    Integrate (polynomials only would be easy)
    Solve simple equation (5x + 3 = 2, solve for x!)

4. Nov 25, 2004 #3

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Although there are professional programs that do this I would very much suggest you try and think of as much stuff you can do and add it in. It very much gives you a better understanding of that area of mathematics (try and write most of your algorithms rather than using pre-defined functions).

A good one that I wrote a couple of years back was a program which when you inputted a number it gave you it's prime divisors, e.g if I inputted 12 it would give you:

2^2 x 3

I expanded the program to give the sum of divisors, e.g if you inputted 6 it would be the same as:

1+2+3 = 6

And thus also told you if it was a perfect number of a near perfect number (only 1 number away). I carried on looking for more things, like telling you if it was a Fermat prime number etc.. etc.. I think the program could finally deal with any number 10^8 or less and still be quite quick (it was written in VB). Not only did it give me a better understanding the maths but it has allowed me to breeze through my number theory course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook