Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a Math computer program

1. Nov 24, 2004 #1
    I just some ideas for what should I put in my math program. All I need is some forumlas.So far I got the cross-multiply,average and the taxes.
    I'll remove the fat ronald afterwards. When I am going to be done, I can post it my program for download.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Quadratic formula

Some hard ones:
    Derive (polynomials only would be easy)
    Integrate (polynomials only would be easy)
    Solve simple equation (5x + 3 = 2, solve for x!)
  4. Nov 25, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Although there are professional programs that do this I would very much suggest you try and think of as much stuff you can do and add it in. It very much gives you a better understanding of that area of mathematics (try and write most of your algorithms rather than using pre-defined functions).

A good one that I wrote a couple of years back was a program which when you inputted a number it gave you it's prime divisors, e.g if I inputted 12 it would give you:

2^2 x 3

I expanded the program to give the sum of divisors, e.g if you inputted 6 it would be the same as:

1+2+3 = 6

And thus also told you if it was a perfect number of a near perfect number (only 1 number away). I carried on looking for more things, like telling you if it was a Fermat prime number etc.. etc.. I think the program could finally deal with any number 10^8 or less and still be quite quick (it was written in VB). Not only did it give me a better understanding the maths but it has allowed me to breeze through my number theory course.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?