Finding an Algebraic Model for Toy Glider Flight

In summary, the table describes the flight of a toy glider launched from a tower on a hilltop, with height values indicating the number of meters above or below the top of the hill. To find an algebraic model for height as a function of time, you can try a linear model or a quadratic model and use the given data points to determine the coefficients.
Raza
The table describes the flight of a toy glider launched from a tower on a hilltop.
The values for height indicate the number of metres above or below the top of the hill.
Table.jpg

I have to find an algebraic model that gives height as a function of time.

How do I do that?
I have no idea where to start.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This can be exactly modeled by a polynomial. Try graphing it.

Last edited:
1. Try a linear model: h= at+ b. Use the first two data points to determine a and b. Does that work for the other points?
If not
2. Try a quadratic model: h= at2+ bt+ c. Use the first three data points to determine a, b, and c. Does that work for the other points?
If not

1. How do I determine the variables in my algebraic model for toy glider flight?

The variables in your algebraic model for toy glider flight will depend on the specific factors that affect the flight of the glider, such as the weight of the glider, the angle of the wings, and the air resistance. To determine the variables, you can conduct experiments and analyze the data to see which factors have the most significant impact on the flight.

2. Can I use a linear model for toy glider flight?

It is possible to use a linear model for toy glider flight, but it may not accurately represent the flight. Toy gliders often experience non-linear behavior due to factors such as turbulence and air resistance. It is recommended to use a nonlinear model for more accurate results.

3. How do I validate my algebraic model for toy glider flight?

To validate your algebraic model for toy glider flight, you can compare the predicted results from the model to actual flight data. You can also conduct multiple trials and compare the average results to the predicted values. If there is a close match between the predicted and actual results, it is a good indication that your model is valid.

4. Can I use existing mathematical equations for my algebraic model?

Yes, you can use existing mathematical equations for your algebraic model as long as they accurately represent the flight of the toy glider. However, it is important to keep in mind that the equations may need to be modified or combined to account for the unique characteristics of toy gliders.

5. Is it necessary to consider all factors in my algebraic model for toy glider flight?

No, it is not necessary to consider all factors in your algebraic model for toy glider flight. You should focus on the most significant factors that affect the flight, such as weight, wing angle, and air resistance. Including too many factors can make the model overly complex and may not accurately represent the flight.