Converting Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions

• Thread starter storoi1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, to add fractions, both fractions must have the same denominator. In the given problem, 1/2 + 1 = 1/2 + 2/2 = 3/2. For a slightly harder problem, such as 1/2 + 1/3, the least common denominator must be found in order to add the fractions. This can be done by multiplying each fraction by a suitable form of 1. In this case, the common denominator is 6. After rewriting the fractions, the numerators can be added and the common denominator used. Therefore, 1/2 + 1/3 = 3/6 + 2/6 = 5/6.
storoi1990

Homework Statement

If i have 1/2 + 1 = 1,5 (on the calculator), how do i make this into a fraction?

I know this answer would be 1/2 + 1 = 3/2

But how excactly is this done?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
To add fractions, both fractions have to have the same denominator.

For your problem, 1/2 + 1 = 1/2 + 2/2 = 3/2.

Here's a slightly harder problem: 1/2 + 1/3

The least common denominator is the least common multiple of 2 and 3, which is 6. So the common denominator will be 6. In a fraction, I can get the common denominator by multiplying by 1 in a suitable form. After the fractions have been rewritten using the common denominator, add the numerators and use the common denominator.

[tex]\frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{3} = \frac{1}{2} * \frac{3}{3} + \frac{1}{3} * \frac{2}{2}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{3}{6} + \frac{2}{6} = \frac{5}{6} [/tex]

Thank you ! :)

Well, you have one fraction (1/2) and a whole number 1 i.e. (2/2).
To make this into one fraction you just have to add the numerators together because the denominator is the same on both sides, 1/2 + 2/2 = (1+2)/2 or 3/2. hope that helps.

1. What does it mean to make a number into a fraction?

Making a number into a fraction means expressing a whole number or decimal number as a ratio of two integers, typically with a numerator and denominator separated by a horizontal line. For example, the number 3 can be written as a fraction of 3/1.

2. How do you convert a whole number into a fraction?

To convert a whole number into a fraction, simply write the number as the numerator and 1 as the denominator. For example, the number 5 can be written as a fraction of 5/1.

3. How do you convert a decimal number into a fraction?

To convert a decimal number into a fraction, count the number of digits after the decimal point. Then, write the digits after the decimal point as the numerator and 1 followed by the same number of zeros as the denominator. For example, the decimal number 0.75 can be written as a fraction of 75/100.

4. Is there a simplified form for fractions?

Yes, fractions can be simplified by dividing both the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor (GCF). The simplified form of a fraction is when the numerator and denominator have no common factors other than 1. For example, the fraction 15/20 can be simplified to 3/4.

5. Can any number be converted into a fraction?

Yes, any number can be converted into a fraction. Whole numbers, decimal numbers, and even negative numbers can all be expressed as fractions. However, irrational numbers, such as pi or square root of 2, cannot be written as fractions with finite digits.