Making a Server with Windows XP

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a webpage/FTP server using Windows XP, with suggestions for using IIS or Apache as the server software. There is also mention of potential bugs with IIS and the recommendation to consider using Linux instead. The conversation also touches on the need for a server for a billing database and options for obtaining a cheap, legal copy of a server operating system.
eNtRopY
[SOLVED] Making a Server with Windows XP

I was wondering if it is possible to make a webpage / ftp server using Windows XP rather than some fancy OS like Windows Server 2003. Basically, I want to make my own server, but I have no idea where to begin.

Thanks.

eNtRopY

Computer science news on Phys.org
First thing to do is make sure your ISP allows it's customers to make servers, unless you plan to use it only as localhost.

To install IIS (Internet Information Server) put in your windows xp cd. It's located under components.

Or you can download apache for windows and follow their instructions.

As for FTP, I'm sure there are windows components for this otherwise goto download.com and search for an FTP server application.

Thanks for the information. I think I'm going to try the IIS option. Please let me know if there are any common shortcomings of this component.

Thanks.

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
I was wondering if it is possible to make a webpage / ftp server using Windows XP rather than some fancy OS like Windows Server 2003. Basically, I want to make my own server, but I have no idea where to begin.

Thanks.

eNtRopY
Which version of XP do you have? Its probably only possible with Pro.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Which version of XP do you have? Its probably only possible with Pro.

I have the Home Edition, but last week I ordered an upgrade for the Profession Edtion. I got a pretty good deal too... ten licenses for only $38.

eNtRopY

In the same vein

I am trying to build a network as cheaply and quickly as possible. Currently I have 3 machines, 2 of which need simultaneous access to a billing database. Both of those machines are running XP home and will be upgraded to Professional.

Is it possible to use an XP pro machine as a server or does it not have that capability? Other than ebay were can I get a cheap LEGAL copy of win2k server or nt server? Thanks in advance!

Yesh, why don't all of you guys just run linux. What do you think microsoft uses for www.microsoft.com[/url] ([url]http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=www.microsoft.com[/URL])

aximluvah, what type of database are you running? If your looking for a cheap (free) server then apache will do it for you. It has really good documentation too.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Windows XP Server?

Windows XP Server is a server operating system developed by Microsoft. It is designed to provide a platform for hosting and managing network services and resources.

2. How do I make a server with Windows XP?

To make a server with Windows XP, you will need to install the server operating system on a computer that meets the minimum hardware requirements. Once installed, you can then configure the necessary services and settings to turn your computer into a server.

3. What are the benefits of using Windows XP Server?

Windows XP Server offers a variety of benefits, including easy configuration and management, compatibility with popular software and hardware, and support for multiple users and network services.

4. Can I use Windows XP Professional as a server?

While Windows XP Professional does have some server capabilities, it is not designed or supported as a server operating system. It is recommended to use a dedicated server operating system, such as Windows XP Server, for optimal performance and security.

5. Is it safe to use Windows XP Server for my business?

While Windows XP Server is a reliable and widely used server operating system, it is important to note that as of April 2014, Microsoft has ended support and security updates for this system. It is recommended to upgrade to a newer, supported server operating system for the best security measures.