Maximizing Steam Turbine Efficiency: Small Scale Design and Measurement Tips

• Thread starter JamesWatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turbine
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of making a small turbine and determining its efficiency and maximizing the pressure of the steam used. The main focus was on finding ways to measure the electrical power generated and the challenges faced in designing a steam turbine. Different methods were discussed, such as using a multi-meter, an enthalpy drop method, and measuring temperature and pressure. The conversation also included details of a previous attempt at using a pot and a PC fan, but the steam pressure was not enough to spin the fan. Suggestions were given to simplify the project and re-scale to a smaller motor and a sealed conduit system. There was also a discussion on using a pressure cooker and adapting a PC fan to a 5" diameter duct
JamesWatt
SUMMARY
I’m making a small turbine. I’m looking for suggestions as to how to measure efficiency and maximize the pressure of the steam taken in.

DETAILS
If I understand it correctly, essentially, a turbine is a way to convert steam pressure into electricity via a rotating shaft (with buckets on one side to catch flowing fluid such as steam and magnets on the other to generate electricity). Turbines are widely used in power generation. What spins turbines can range from water at hydro-electric dams, to steam from nuclear fission, to steam from burning goal, to gas combustion.

I want to understand the problems that arise in steam-turbine design. I can’t afford a full scale turbine, so I will make one on a small scale. To measure my success, I want to get at the electrical power that is generated as a percentage of the power available in the steam. Measuring the electrical power out is easy with a multi-meter. I have less of an idea of how to figure out how much wattage is available in the steam. I read about an enthalpy drop method where you measure the temperature and pressure before and after the turbine. ((http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gepower.com%2Fprod_serv%2Fproducts%2Ftech_docs%2Fen%2Fdownloads%2Fger4190.pdf&ei=goylTbWmN4Tp0gGzocX9CA&usg=AFQjCNHphV_sgvEfhsVl6xIoWl7DOKo3Vg&sig2=QyJB89CbSXTmx-l1GwkP5w ))
The math of getting from the pre and post turbine temperatures and pressures to an efficiency number is less obvious to me.

For my first iteration on this project, I used a pot on the stove as a steam source. As a combination turbine and generator, I used a PC fan. To measure power generated, I hooked up a multi-meter to the fan’s leads and multiply the measured voltage by the measured current. To connect the fan to the pot, I used zip-ties:

http://postimage.org/image/13mpym0x0/

The fan blades didn’t spin. I think the reason was that the steam wasn’t of a high enough pressure to spin the fan blades. I tried adding towels to channel the steam into the fan.

http://postimage.org/image/2xa0slt1g/

The fan still didn’t spin. The towels weren’t ideal in that they could still absorb the steam, dissipating some of the pressure. I think the problem is that the steam coming into the fan isn’t pressurized enough.

One way I was thinking about doing this was putting a pipe plug on the stove, threading a pipe into it, putting a flange on the other end of the pipe and bolting a fan to the flange. Another idea is putting a metal sheet with a hole cut out on the pot and putting a fan on the hole. Which of these should I try? Do you have another idea? I work at an industrial parts reseller, so I have access to a wide range of material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A turbine converts thermal energy into mechanical energy.

Your "buckets" imply a Pelton wheel, a primitive impulse turbine that wastes velocity loss.

Hero's steam engine was a primitive reaction turbine that wasted pressure.

Combine impulse and reactions wheels for efficiency. Conceptually, alternate pressure and velocity. Also look into convergent-divergent nozzles that can exchange pressure and velocity.

JamesWatt said:
SUMMARY
I’m making a small turbine. I’m looking for suggestions as to how to measure efficiency and maximize the pressure of the steam taken in.

James,
I suggest you simplify to understand the scope and scale. Your muffin fan is a 12V. Get a second fan and tape together. Run fan A and read output (if it spins) from B. Estimate if your steam pot can generate enough CFM to spin fan.

Maybe re-scale to much smaller motor, close fitting many bladed prop, and a small sealed conduit system? Review a real steam turbine?

If you were my neighbor, this morning at 6am you would have heard loud, celebratory swearing through your wall. I read 6V off my multi-meter with this:
XKmDp.jpg

I started with an unsuspecting aluminum pressure cooker:
q0qhA.jpg

I tapped two ¼” NPT holes in the top—one for a pressure gauge and one for the piping system I made.
AiWUr.jpg

When I read 13 PSI on the pressure gauge, I released the steam.

Next up is:
The seal between my piping system and the pressure cooker lid is poor. I had 14 PSI before installing the pipe and 13 PSI afterwards. The lid is only 0.08” thick, so it was easy to strip the thread two or three threads I was able to tap. I used pipe nuts as a stop gap, but I think some gasketing would help. Any advice? You can see steam escaping in this picture:
XnSoJ.jpg

I would like to encase the fan. I was thinking about something like what I used on my PC (see below). The challenge is that I can’t figure out how to adapt from ¼” NPT to 5” diameter duct.
Z9q1W.jpg

I bet there are more efficient and steam-resistant generators than a PC fan. What do you recommends as a simple step between a PC fan and this:
ACkjX.jpg

As a scientist, my response would be to first commend the individual for their interest and efforts in creating a small scale steam turbine. This type of hands-on experimentation is crucial for understanding the complexities of engineering and design.

In terms of measuring efficiency and maximizing pressure, I would suggest using a combination of methods. The enthalpy drop method mentioned is a good start, as it can give an indication of the available energy in the steam. However, I would also recommend using a pressure gauge to directly measure the steam pressure before and after the turbine, as well as a thermometer to measure the temperature.

In terms of maximizing pressure, the individual may want to consider using a steam boiler to generate higher pressure steam. This can be achieved by heating the water to a higher temperature, creating more steam and therefore more pressure. Additionally, using a nozzle or other device to accelerate the steam before it enters the turbine can also increase pressure.

In terms of the design of the turbine, I would suggest experimenting with different blade shapes and sizes to find the most efficient design. The use of a flange and bolted fan may work, but it would also be beneficial to try different methods such as using a vane or impeller design.

Overall, my advice would be to continue experimenting and trying different methods to measure efficiency and maximize pressure. As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with an open mind and be willing to try new ideas. Good luck with your project!

1. What materials do I need to make a small turbine?

To make a small turbine, you will need a variety of materials including a rotor, blades, a shaft, bearings, a generator, and a housing. The rotor and blades can be made from lightweight and durable materials such as carbon fiber, while the shaft and bearings should be strong enough to withstand the rotational forces. The generator can be purchased or salvaged from old electronics, and the housing can be made from any sturdy material.

2. What is the best design for a small turbine?

The best design for a small turbine will depend on the specific application and conditions. However, generally a three-bladed horizontal axis design is the most efficient and common for small turbines. It is important to consider factors such as blade shape, length, and angle to optimize the design for maximum efficiency.

3. How much power can a small turbine generate?

The amount of power a small turbine can generate will depend on the size and design of the turbine, as well as the wind speed and other environmental factors. On average, a small turbine can generate anywhere from 100 watts to 10 kilowatts of power. It is important to properly size the turbine for the intended application to ensure optimal power generation.

4. What maintenance is required for a small turbine?

Like any mechanical device, a small turbine will require regular maintenance to ensure optimal performance and longevity. This may include inspecting and replacing worn parts, cleaning and lubricating bearings, and monitoring the electrical components. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for maintenance and to address any issues as soon as they arise.

5. Can a small turbine be used for off-grid power?

Yes, a small turbine can be used for off-grid power generation. In fact, small turbines are often used in remote locations where traditional power sources are not available. However, it is important to properly size and install the turbine, as well as have a backup power source in case of low wind conditions. Additionally, it is important to consult with local authorities and obtain any necessary permits before installing a small turbine for off-grid power.