How can I use a MOSFET and voltage multiplier to generate a high voltage spark?

In summary, the conversation is about creating a circuit to generate a large voltage, potentially for creating a spark or increasing voltage across a resistor, and triggering it digitally with a micro-controller. The suggestion is to use a simple ignition circuit and modify it for digital triggering, while also taking safety precautions. A potential circuit example is provided.
Curl
I need to make a large voltage, possibly to make a spark across a 0.05mm gap or at least to make a very large voltage across a resistor. I need this to be triggered digitally by a micro-controller.

I was thinking of setting up an inductor and a power MOSFET, but I don't know if this will work. Can anyone help sketch a circuit that would accomplish what I described?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Curl said:
I need to make a large voltage, possibly to make a spark across a 0.05mm gap or at least to make a very large voltage across a resistor. I need this to be triggered digitally by a micro-controller.

I was thinking of setting up an inductor and a power MOSFET, but I don't know if this will work. Can anyone help sketch a circuit that would accomplish what I described?

Thanks!

From our PMs, it sounds like you just need a spark plug circuit. Can you just use a spark plug ignition circuit off of a lawn mower or similar?

My thoughts exactly, a simple ignition circuit is all you will need. In regards to triggering it by a micro-controller will definitely require a bit of modification.

Not too sure what you're exactly trying to do so it's hard to say.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5589/10322599.jpg

There's an example.

Needless to say, if you're going to be trying to get sparks, that's kV running from the coil to the plug, so use insulated wiring, preferably BOSCH or something similar from auto shops.

As to triggering it from a micro-controller, how about triggering the battery with a simple switch breaking contact with the rest of the circuit when you don't want it turned on?*Image taken from Fundamentals of Electric Circuits (4th Ed) - Alexander, Sadiku p.353

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest using a voltage multiplier circuit to achieve your goal of creating a large voltage. This circuit consists of multiple stages of diodes and capacitors that can increase the voltage output. You can control the triggering of the voltage multiplier using a MOSFET, which can be controlled by the micro-controller. This setup will allow you to generate a high voltage pulse that can create a spark across a small gap or produce a large voltage across a resistor. I would recommend consulting with a professional or experienced engineer to help you sketch out a specific circuit that fits your needs and ensure safety precautions are taken.

1. How does a MOSFET make a spark?

A MOSFET (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor) is a type of transistor that can act as a switch. When a voltage is applied to the gate terminal, it allows current to flow between the source and drain terminals. This current can generate a spark if there is a high enough voltage and enough energy stored in the circuit.

2. What are the key components needed to make a spark with a MOSFET?

In order to make a spark with a MOSFET, you will need a power source, a MOSFET transistor, a load (such as a spark gap or ignition coil), and a control circuit to activate the MOSFET. Additionally, you may need capacitors or other components to store and release energy for the spark.

3. Can any MOSFET be used to make a spark?

No, not all MOSFETs are suitable for creating sparks. The MOSFET must have a high enough voltage and current rating to handle the energy required for the spark. It is important to carefully select a MOSFET that meets the requirements for your specific spark-generating circuit.

4. What are some common applications for making a spark with a MOSFET?

Making a spark with a MOSFET can be used in a variety of applications, including creating ignition sparks in engines, generating sparks for welding and cutting, and creating sparks for experimental and educational purposes.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with MOSFET sparks?

Yes, working with high voltage and sparks can be dangerous. It is important to always follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and working with a properly designed circuit. Additionally, make sure to discharge any capacitors and disconnect power before handling any components in the spark-generating circuit.