Increasing Inductance with Iron Core?

• Thread starter amanno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductor
In summary, using a solid ferromagnetic core such as an iron or steel rod can greatly increase the inductance of an inductor compared to an air coil inductor. The factor of increase depends on the magnetic permeability of the core material, which is about 100 for steel. However, using a permanent magnet as the core is not recommended as it may work against the magnetic field generated by the coil. Additionally, using laminated or ferrite materials can help decrease or prevent the generation of eddy currents within the core.
amanno
If I wrap a wire around a permanent magnet (iron) to make an inductor... will that increase the strength of the inductance? Or just push the inductor into magnetic saturation?

What if I just use a solid ferromagnetic core (not magnetized) such as an iron or steel rod? How much does that increase inductance over an air coil inductor?

Thanks for the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi amanno,
welcome to PF :)

Reading your post, I am still trying to decide if you have a bit of a misunderstanding about an iron cored inductor

amanno said:
If I wrap a wire around a permanent magnet (iron) to make an inductor... will that increase the strength of the inductance? Or just push the inductor into magnetic saturation?

I can't think of any example in any electronics I have ever worked on where the iron core is already a permanent magnet. I can't think of any good reason why you would want to do that. As the magnetic field would work against the the magnetic field being generated by the coil when a current passes through it.

amanno said:
What if I just use a solid ferromagnetic core (not magnetized) such as an iron or steel rod? How much does that increase inductance over an air coil inductor?

Inductors come in 2 usual styles ...
1) -- air core and a
2) -- ferromagnetic core (not magnetized) it can be either laminated or a ferrite powder as is commonly used in transformers or solid iron core as usually used in an electromagnet for say a relay or solenoid

using a ferrite, laminated or solid iron core has the effect of concentrating the magnetic field within the core and coil. The iron type core can increase the inductance by a factor of 1000 or more over an air cored inductor

Laminated or ferrite / fericeramic cored materials are used to decrease ot stop the generation of eddy currents within the core.

cheers
Dave

1. How can I increase the strength of an inductor?

The strength of an inductor can be increased by using a larger core material, increasing the number of turns in the coil, and increasing the current flowing through the coil.

2. What is the best core material for making a stronger inductor?

Ferrite is the most commonly used core material for inductors, as it has high permeability and can support high magnetic fields. Other materials such as iron, nickel, and cobalt alloys can also be used for specific applications.

3. Can I increase the strength of an inductor by changing the wire size?

Yes, using a thicker wire can increase the strength of an inductor. However, this also increases the resistance of the coil, which can affect the overall performance of the inductor.

4. Is there a maximum limit to the strength of an inductor?

Yes, there is a limit to the strength of an inductor. This is determined by the saturation point of the core material and the maximum current that can be safely passed through the coil without damaging it.

5. What are some practical applications of stronger inductors?

Stronger inductors are used in a variety of applications, such as power supplies, transformers, and electronic filters. They are also used in electric motors, generators, and various industrial and scientific equipment.