Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a stronger inductor

1. Aug 15, 2012 #1
    If I wrap a wire around a permanent magnet (iron) to make an inductor... will that increase the strength of the inductance? Or just push the inductor into magnetic saturation?

What if I just use a solid ferromagnetic core (not magnetized) such as an iron or steel rod? How much does that increase inductance over an air coil inductor?

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2012 #2
  4. Sep 2, 2012 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi amanno,
    welcome to PF :)

Reading your post, Im still trying to decide if you have a bit of a misunderstanding about an iron cored inductor

I cant think of any example in any electronics I have ever worked on where the iron core is already a permanent magnet. I cant think of any good reason why you would want to do that. As the magnetic field would work against the the magnetic field being generated by the coil when a current passes through it.

Inductors come in 2 usual styles ....
    1) -- air core and a
    2) -- ferromagnetic core (not magnetized) it can be either laminated or a ferrite powder as is commonly used in transformers or solid iron core as usually used in an electromagnet for say a relay or solenoid

using a ferrite, laminated or solid iron core has the effect of concentrating the magnetic field within the core and coil. The iron type core can increase the inductance by a factor of 1000 or more over an air cored inductor

Laminated or ferrite / fericeramic cored materials are used to decrease ot stop the generation of eddy currents within the core.

cheers
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook