How can we build a tiny hovercraft using a simple fan assembly?

• Thread starter gulsen
  • Start date
In summary, MK is trying to build a hovercraft using a leafblower engine and some other electronics details are not necessary.
gulsen
We're trying to build a small hovercraft (around 50x30cm sufrace, we guess). So far we're trying to re-invent the wheel at every step, but this involves many incorrect calculations & huge aprroximations that'd probaby lead many unexpected stuff (welcome to engineering, I hear. Hi there.).

Some electronics details, that are probaby not necessary: The energy to the motors will be supplied by a ~7volts acid battery that can feed up to ~1.2A of current. Our current motors are supposed to work at 12V and 9V, we're going to have a little circuit to feed the motors from our battery.

The question is: where can we find some documents/tutorials that will help us building this tiny hovercraft? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
mythbusters had an episode where they built a hovercraft from a leafblower and piece of plastic sheeting that had holes in it...

so i assume you are useing a motor for lift and a sperate motor for thrust or are they both for lift?

MK, a member her did that for one of our school projects

he used... some sort of leaf blowing engine i think... and not sure what material you sat on...

but it worked

I found found this image in another fourm on this site,

http://www.cincinnatifan.com/PlugFan.html"

if you spin the fan assembely in the right direction, it will "scoop" air into the center of the fan, and create a high pressure area there. if a housing can be built that will cause this high pressure area to expell out onto a surface over a large area, it should work as "air coushion" for it to ride on. you would have to fabricate your own fan assembely because if your hovercraft is as small as the title implies, then the product in the picture is much to big for your purpouse.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a tiny hovercraft work?

A tiny hovercraft works by using a cushion of air to lift and propel itself above a surface. This is achieved through a combination of a fan or propeller and a skirt that traps the air underneath the craft.

2. What materials are needed to make a tiny hovercraft?

The materials needed to make a tiny hovercraft include a lightweight base material such as foam or plastic, a fan or propeller, a battery or power source, a skirt material, and adhesive or fasteners to assemble the components.

3. Can I use any fan or propeller for a tiny hovercraft?

No, it is important to choose a fan or propeller that is appropriate for the size and weight of your hovercraft. A fan or propeller that is too small or weak will not provide enough lift, while one that is too large or powerful may be difficult to control.

4. How do I control the direction of a tiny hovercraft?

The direction of a tiny hovercraft can be controlled by changing the direction of the fan or propeller, as well as adjusting the angle of the skirt. Some hovercrafts also have steering mechanisms, such as rudders or fins, to help with directional control.

5. Is it difficult to make a tiny hovercraft?

The difficulty level of making a tiny hovercraft depends on your level of experience and the complexity of your design. With the right materials and instructions, it can be a fun and rewarding project for both beginners and experienced makers.