Making a video screen out of thin air: CNN

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
While unlikely to replace the desktop computer monitor, so-called walk-through displays could eventually be put to use in product showrooms, museums, and military training facilities.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/09/15/videoscreen.air.reut/index.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
I know this can hardly be considered a contribution to the thread, but: WOW!!

Originally posted by ahrkron
I know this can hardly be considered a contribution to the thread, but: WOW!!
haha, what really got me is that caption: "The company that makes heliodisplay images says they allow a hand or finger to manipulate them. "

How in the world? So this mean you can physically manipulate the output of the projectors? I would be extremely interested in exactly how it modifies the air.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
From his website:
The extent of information we are disclosing at this time is that the device modifies the properties of air within a localized environment. Air comes into the device, is ejected and illuminated using a proprietary technique in which the photons and air produce the image. There is no harmful gas or liquid. Nothing needs to be refilled. It is just ambient air. The image, furthermore, is interactive as a virtual touchscreen allowing a hand or finger to be used as a mouse.
http://www.io2technology.com/

Also:
When we commercialized the product, we expect that the price will be very competitive with an equivalent sized plasma screen.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
(SNIP) How in the world? So this mean you can physically manipulate the output of the projectors? I would be extremely interested in exactly how it modifies the air. (SNoP)
By blowing a consistent enough stream of air, then lighting it (how? laser?) you could feasibly generate an image, with the 'air modification' being something like ionization(?), hence charged.