Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making a webpage

1. Jun 28, 2006 #1
    Hello, I am learning how to make a simple web site. I find it interesting that whenever I click the page(index.html) on my desktop, it opens immediately for me. I wonder how to make my page 1/3 or half-open...the page stops loading when things on page are 1/3 or 1/2 loaded.

??

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why on earth would you want your page to be 1/3 loaded? I don't know of any way to do this, though you might be able to "simulate" it with some clever JavaScript.

- Warren

4. Jun 28, 2006 #3
    i am sorry I don't know how to use javascript.
    I can only do

<html>
    <head>
    <title>Dean's page</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    Welcome to my page
    ...write long paragraphs here..
    </body>
    </html>

I am just curious if that can be done, stop the page when it is 1/3 or =1/2 loaded

5. Jun 28, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it's not possible. Again, I can't imagine any real use for such a "feature."

- Warren

6. Jun 28, 2006 #5
    press the stop button on your browser

7. Jun 28, 2006 #6
    Well it is only to learn more about page-loading

8. Jun 28, 2006 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'd have to have pretty damn good reflexes.

- Warren

9. Jun 28, 2006 #8
    Oh, I don't want to press it all the time

10. Jun 28, 2006 #9
    The only thing you need to know about page loading is that the browser starts at the top of the code and works it's way down. That's the order. But the code is only text so the time it takes for the browser to translate it is almost instantaneous. I can see why you want to learn about the loading order because it seems you're starting off with HTML. Stick with it, man. It's a really good skill to have; I'm serious. You'll learn how to become more advanced so you can create awesome pages. After or even while you master HTML, you can learn some PHP or JavaScript to incorporate new features into your work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?