Making a wormhole just got easier

ArmedJimmy

heard of that before, but the sad part is the only thing the article done was make me wonder where they used Wormholes in Quantum leap?
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by ArmedJimmy
heard of that before, but the sad part is the only thing the article done was make me wonder where they used Wormholes in Quantum leap?
I think you confuse sliding with leaping [amateurs ]


Really though, considering that we spent an entire period in Quantum Mechanics discussing the idea of Heisenberg compensators [who can name the show and episode?], I will make my point.

When one leaps, clearly one is forced into another quantum state. I think Quantum leap played more with the idea of entanglement than wormholes. His "theory" was [approximately] that our lives are like a jumble of yarn; with points in the timeline contacting other points making a sort of temporal jigsaw. He then leapt from one point in the timeline to another at these intersections. Also, as you have seen, when you leap, you fizzle and sparkle.

Clearly Sliders was a wormhole based idea. Michio Kaku's book Hyperspace was shown in the original episode. We are lead to believe that if you're a boy genius this is all you need to make wormholes. I heard Kaku told about this a couple of years ago. He never even knew anything about it. I have always wondered if he went after royalties. Finally, as you have seen, wormholes make a big blue sucking thing, as opposed to sparkles and fizzles. Would you please be careful with your terminology.
 

ArmedJimmy

That was my point. It was the article that said Quantum Leap used wormholes, I was aking where as I had never seen them.
 

marcus

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
24,713
783
this sounds like total madness run wild

I have always known our lives are like a jumble of yarn
but have never personally encountered the big blue sucking thing
and only rarely at best met with sparkles and fizzles

in ancient times there was a Vulcan halfbreed with pointed ears----and occasionally things sparkled in the
transporter room. by your account there has been a lot of progress since then.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
I think you confuse sliding with leaping [amateurs ]


Really though, considering that we spent an entire period in Quantum Mechanics discussing the idea of Heisenberg compensators [who can name the show and episode?], I will make my point.

When one leaps, clearly one is forced into another quantum state. I think Quantum leap played more with the idea of entanglement than wormholes. His "theory" was [approximately] that our lives are like a jumble of yarn; with points in the timeline contacting other points making a sort of temporal jigsaw. He then leapt from one point in the timeline to another at these intersections. Also, as you have seen, when you leap, you fizzle and sparkle.

Clearly Sliders was a wormhole based idea. Michio Kaku's book Hyperspace was shown in the original episode. We are lead to believe that if you're a boy genius this is all you need to make wormholes. I heard Kaku told about this a couple of years ago. He never even knew anything about it. I have always wondered if he went after royalties. Finally, as you have seen, wormholes make a big blue sucking thing, as opposed to sparkles and fizzles. Would you please be careful with your terminology.
 

ArmedJimmy

If you put a plate with metal trimmings in the micorwave you get fizzles and sparkles! I'm off to see if I can leap!
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by
this sounds like total madness run wild

I have always known our lives are like a jumble of yarn
but have never personally encountered the big blue sucking thing
and only rarely at best met with sparkles and fizzles

in ancient times there was a Vulcan halfbreed with pointed ears----and occasionally things sparkled in the
transporter room. by your account there has been a lot of progress since then.
Marcus, I suspect that you have never seen the TV shows of which we speak. This is just Sci Fi. No reality intended.

Edit: whoops, after judging the tone of youf post I suspect that I am missing your humor
 
Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by ArmedJimmy
If you put a plate with metal trimmings in the micorwave you get fizzles and sparkles! I'm off to see if I can leap!
ArmedJimmy, I will only tell you one more time: Do not climb into the microwave and hit start again.
 

marcus

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
24,713
783
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
ArmedJimmy, I will only tell you one more time: Do not climb into the microwave and hit start again.
great idea! LOL
 
477
4
do we have any reason to believe that wormholes occur naturally? do we have any observations?
 

ArmedJimmy

Originally posted by maximus
do we have any reason to believe that wormholes occur naturally? do we have any observations?
As far I as I know, no. Some people believe that they occur at the centre of blackholes, inside the infinite-time warp radius(forget the proper name). But no ones been yet!
 

Related Threads for: Making a wormhole just got easier

Replies
6
Views
2K
Replies
2
Views
425
Replies
2
Views
1K
  • Posted
Replies
9
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
19
Views
6K
Replies
3
Views
508
  • Posted
Replies
2
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
11
Views
7K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving
Top