Tips for Creating an Academic CV

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on the content of a CV for PhD applications. A helpful website is recommended and a discussion on the ordering of sections on an academic CV ensues, with some suggestions such as including a list of seminars and awards won. A source code for a LaTeX template is also shared.
NoobixCube
Hey all,
I am applying for PhD positions and many people are asking for a CV. Could anyone give me tips on the content of the CV?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.jonlee.co.uk/content.asp/o/8944/po/11632/ms/17399/s/11632

Here is a useful site for you

Last edited by a moderator:
djeitnstine said:
http://www.jonlee.co.uk/content.asp/o/8944/po/11632/ms/17399/s/11632

Here is a useful site for you

The ordering of sections on my academic CV is different to that. For example, education is above work experience, since it's more important (especially at an early stage in one's career). I also include a list of selected seminars given, a section on 'awards/prizes won', and don't have 'hobbies section', but that may just be me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very many faculty members' websites include CV's. With a half an hour of surfing, you could get dozens of examples.

Thanks for all the responses,
this chap has the source code for his latex template
http://jblevins.org/
which I ended up using

1. What information should be included in an academic CV?

An academic CV should include your personal information, education and academic qualifications, research and teaching experience, publications, presentations, grants and awards, and any relevant professional experience.

2. How should an academic CV be formatted?

An academic CV should be formatted in a clear and organized manner, with headings and sections to differentiate between different aspects of your academic career. It should also be consistent in font, spacing, and formatting throughout.

3. How long should an academic CV be?

An academic CV should typically be 2-3 pages long, but can vary depending on your level of experience and the requirements of the job or academic program you are applying for. It is important to include all relevant information, but avoid making it too lengthy or overwhelming.

4. Should I include non-academic experience in my CV?

It is generally recommended to only include non-academic experience if it is directly relevant to your academic career or the specific job or program you are applying for. Otherwise, it may be best to focus on highlighting your academic accomplishments and experience.

5. How often should I update my academic CV?

An academic CV should be updated regularly, especially when you have new publications, presentations, or awards to add. It is also a good idea to update it every few months to ensure that it is always up-to-date and ready to be submitted for any potential opportunities.