Creating an Airtight Tank: Tips and Techniques for a Successful Design

• Thread starter Loochia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tank
In summary: This is a great learning experience, as to why some things are made the way they are made ( for optimization of what you want to optimize - which might be material cost, fabrication, durability, maintenance, ease of use, safety( ie rupture, leakage), volume and pressure in this case. )What are the rules/guidelines for this project?If you only have an air pump you can fill the box with water so only a tiny fraction at top is air and then use the pump to pressurize a very small volume only.In summary, the group is trying to make an airtight tank and has run into some problems. They are trying to find a way to make the tank air
Loochia
Summary: Help!

For my freshman engineering in design class, my group is trying to make an airtight tank that can withstand some pressure that is pumped in. For our prototype, we built a tank out of acrylic sheets and glued it together with epoxy glue, but it popped the second we pumped a little air inside. Does anyone have any suggestions as to other methods of created an airtight tank? Different materials, glues, etc?
PrototypePic.png
PrototypeFail.png

Likes 256bits
Physics news on Phys.org
(thread moved to the schoolwork forums)

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Well, making a pressure vessel with flat sides seems to be the first problem. Can you say why?

Once you fix that problem, what kinds of joints do you think you should use to improve the strength of the seals? Do you have access to a CNC milling machine or a 3-D printer?

How would we make a pressure vessel without flat sides? Like a cylinder?

We were thinking of switching our glue to acryilc cement and/or using hot melt adhesives. What do you think about these changes?

We have access to a 3-D printer and I believe there is a CNC milling machine in the workshop.

Loochia said:
Like a cylinder?
Yes. Starting with a tubing-like material gets you the rounded sides, but the top and bottom are still problematic. Can you mate hemispheres with the tubing to make a more traditional pressure vessel shape? Can you add bracing members outside of the structure? What are the rules/guidelines for this project?

1574183308580.png

A cylindrical vessel with hemispherical or 'dished' heads (like those shown above) is close to the best shape you can use for a pressure vessel (theoretically, a sphere would be best).

Usually you want what is holding the vessel together (the glue in this case) to be of similar, or close, strength properties of the material being used. Notice in the Google image results above this is typically a full penetration weld or rivets when steel is the case.

If the cylinder can be seamless with just the heads fitted on, this would be as perfect as you can get.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Loochia said:
For my freshman engineering in design class, my group is trying to make an airtight tank that can withstand some pressure...
How much pressure? What is this device going to be used for? Do you have aa professor advising/supervising on this project?

If you continue to use angled joins (i.e. a box) you may want to absorb some of the pressure using tension bands tightened around the sides, like near the edges and perhaps also at center. This assumes the material of the sides are capable of some plastic/elastic deformation without rupturing.

If you get into the problem where the box can structurally hold the pressure but the seams leak you may want to consider using an internal balloon that gets inflated inside the box.

For safe pressure testing you really should consider using water instead of air, as the energy release in case of failure is much less for water. If you only have an air pump you can fill the box with water so only a tiny fraction at top is air and then use the pump to pressurize a very small volume only.

No matter what you do be mindful of safety at all times when pressurized. Use goggles and safety distance (like use a water hose filled with water right up to the pump to keep persons at safe distance while pressurizing).

Edit: corrected that my fingers spelled goggles with double o instead of g :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes 256bits, Tom.G and berkeman
Loochia said:
Summary: Help!

For my freshman engineering in design class, my group is trying to make an airtight tank that can withstand some pressure that is pumped in. For our prototype, we built a tank out of acrylic sheets and glued it together with epoxy glue, but it popped the second we pumped a little air inside. Does anyone have any suggestions as to other methods of created an airtight tank? Different materials, glues, etc?
View attachment 253053 View attachment 253054
Great learning experience, as to why some things are made the way they are made ( for optimization of what you want to optimize - which might be material cost, fabrication, durability, maintenance, ease of use, safety( ie rupture, leakage), volume and/pressure in this case. )

Square box is OK if there is no other criteria, such as who can make a vessel to hold the most pressure.
You just have to figure out a way to stop leakage ( rubber seals at the joints ( corner problematic ), or some silicon sealing ), gaskets, etc ).
Holding the box together- banding as mentioned by @Flip Larsen., clamps on the parallel faces, welding, etc.

I think you have found out that glue is limited in its ability.
I wouldn't consider that a failure, but as one of the steps in the design procedure towards an end result.

1. How important is the seal in creating an airtight tank?

The seal is crucial in creating an airtight tank. A leak in the seal can compromise the entire system and lead to loss of pressure and potentially hazardous situations. It is essential to use high-quality materials and proper techniques to ensure a tight seal.

2. What are the best materials to use for an airtight tank?

The best materials to use for an airtight tank are typically metals such as aluminum, stainless steel, or titanium. These materials have high strength and durability and can withstand high pressure and harsh environments. It is also essential to use specialized sealants and gaskets specifically designed for airtight applications.

3. What are some common design flaws that can lead to a lack of airtightness?

Some common design flaws that can lead to a lack of airtightness include inadequate sealant coverage, improper welding techniques, and poor alignment of components. It is crucial to thoroughly review the design and perform rigorous testing to identify and address any potential flaws before construction.

4. How can I ensure that my airtight tank meets safety standards?

To ensure that your airtight tank meets safety standards, it is essential to thoroughly research and understand the relevant regulations and codes. Additionally, working with experienced engineers and conducting thorough testing can help ensure that your tank meets all necessary safety requirements.

5. Are there any maintenance tips for keeping an airtight tank in good condition?

Regular maintenance is crucial for keeping an airtight tank in good condition. This includes regularly checking and replacing seals, performing pressure tests, and inspecting for any signs of wear or damage. It is also essential to follow proper cleaning procedures to prevent buildup and corrosion.