Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making Carbon pellets with PVA

1. Nov 18, 2015 #1
    Hey there.
    I am making Carbon pellets using polyvinyl alcohol as a binder to help shape the pellets. I would like to measure the pellet's conductivity without being hindered or influence by the conductivity of the PVA. One way to do it is to heat the pellets to 300 degrees and evaporate the PVA that way, however I am not certain about the reaction between Carbon and PVA at this temperature, also about the formation of Carbon Dioxide which would occur at this temperature as well.
    Does anyone have a suggestion of how to approach this subject?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Dec 10, 2015 #3
    If anyone is interested, here's a possible answer: PVA will not react with Carbon at 300 degree. The resistivity of PVA will play a minimal role in over all conductivity of the pellet if its presence is limited to <2%.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook