Is Homemade Chipotle Mayo Worth the Spicy Kick?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around making chipotle mayonnaise at home using a recipe that includes chipotle peppers, lime juice, salt and pepper. The resulting mayo was very spicy and did not taste like restaurant-quality chipotle mayo. The conversation also includes suggestions for improving the recipe by using adobo sauce or ghost peppers. One person offers to send a ghost pepper to try, with a warning about its extreme spiciness. The conversation also touches on the importance of preserving texture and the decline of cooking skills in modern times.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I know I could probably just go out and buy some chipotle mayonnaise, but I wanted to make some! Plus the store closest to us didn't have any.

So I followed a simple enough recipe, just mix a few chipotle peppers with some normal mayo and some lime juice and salt and pepper. Holy *** was it spicy. Ok well it wasn't entirely hot, but it had a kick at the end that made you need to drink something. It also didn't really taste like the chipotle mayo you get at restaurants and such. Does anyone know a recipe for some restaurant-quality chipotle mayo? Or is it probably just best to go buy some.

Oh and if you could make some for me and send it to me, that'd be great. KTHX

DISCUSS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try mixing the chipotle peppers with the lime juice and seasonings and blending them or processing them really fine in a food processor. Then blend that mix into your mayo to taste. Don't try to blend those ingredients with the mayo, because the blending will likely destroy the consistency of that emulsion.

Maybe try some of rhody's ghost peppers...

turbo said:
Try mixing the chipotle peppers with the lime juice and seasonings and blending them or processing them really fine in a food processor. Then blend that mix into your mayo to taste. Don't try to blend those ingredients with the mayo, because the blending will likely destroy the consistency of that emulsion.

The consistancy was fine after blending. The chipotle just pwned my mouth. Restaurant chipotle mayos always seem more flavorful and less spicy

micromass said:
Maybe try some of rhody's ghost peppers...

How about I put you in a food processor.

Pengwuino said:
The consistancy was fine after blending. The chipotle just pwned my mouth. Restaurant chipotle mayos always seem more flavorful and less spicy
Try using the adobo sauce they're packed in and leave out the peppers. Or mix the sauce and mayo until you get the taste you want then blend in a bit of pepper.

By the way, when I suggested that you "blend" the chipotle, lime-juice, etc into the mayo, I meant with a spoon or spatula, not with an appliance. If you love natural mayonnaise, you don't ever want to hit it with a blender because you'll alter the feel of the mayo, especially with acidic additives. I mix my chili-"tartar-sauce" one little bowl at a time because of this. You can slide by with "quick and dirty" but I don't tolerate that here. It doesn't take much (if any) effort to do things the right way, and preserve the texture (as well as the taste) of such a blend. Texture is very important to the way that we sense our foods. Perhaps even more important on a "gut" level than appearance and taste.

Can I get a cooking show? My mother and grandmother would drill into my head the importance of texture. Some foods are quite forgiving with over-cooking or under-cooking. Many are not. Under-cook French-style whole yellow pea soup or baked beans, and you end up with a mealy mush that no amount of reheating can save.

I can't bear to watch cooking shows because they are all diving to the bottom (a la Survivor) while real cooking skills are being minimized for the sake of ratings. When I was a kid, I got the equivalent of attending a "culinary institute", in which I got to help cook, prepare, can, etc everything that you might find in a provincial larder. Combine that with the gardening and animal husbandry that produced much of the food that was preserved, and you find yourself looking at a person who has little respect for supermarkets and the food industry in general.

Evo said:
Try using the adobo sauce they're packed in and leave out the peppers. Or mix the sauce and mayo until you get the taste you want then blend in a bit of pepper.

Yah that's what I was trying but I put so many peppers in in the first go-around that I would have had to start adding huge amounts of mayo to get the spiciness out.

Evo, make me some and ship it to me kthx?

Pengwuino said:
Evo, make me some and ship it to me kthx?
It's in the mail!

You have to pay attention when making up foods for storage, or blending them for use in the short term. It is very easy to ruin the texture or presentation of a favorite dish if you cut corners.

Pengwuino said:
I know I could probably just go out and buy some chipotle mayonnaise, but I wanted to make some! Plus the store closest to us didn't have any.

So I followed a simple enough recipe, just mix a few chipotle peppers with some normal mayo and some lime juice and salt and pepper. Holy *** was it spicy. Ok well it wasn't entirely hot, but it had a kick at the end that made you need to drink something. It also didn't really taste like the chipotle mayo you get at restaurants and such. Does anyone know a recipe for some restaurant-quality chipotle mayo? Or is it probably just best to go buy some.

Oh and if you could make some for me and send it to me, that'd be great. KTHX

DISCUSS!

Pengy,

That stuff is for puss... ! PM me and I will send you a fresh ripe ghost pepper and a rubber glove, cut off a piece about twice the size of a pencil lead, slice it, dice it, then blend it. I 100% guarantee you have never had anything or ever will again that has a kick like this. This is NOT a challenge but if you wish to interpret it that way so be it. (Don't use the knife again for food, use a disposable one, I am not kidding)

I brought a couple of ripe peppers to work today, two young guys ate about 2 pencil leads worth each (no seeds) and it wasn't too bad, another guy wanted to be macho, so I took about three times that much, which included a number of seeds and he was blown away to say the least. He has had a tiny bit of pepper extract before (earlier this year) and said this stuff was hotter.

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin: The gauntlet has been thrown... and... penguins are heading for icy waters to chill, hehe...

RHODY >:(

You seem to be missing the point where I implied that I didn't like my MAYONNAISE making me go into shock.

evo said:
It's in the mail!

Not if that USPS thread is any indication of anything.

turbo said:
You have to pay attention when making up foods for storage, or blending them for use in the short term. It is very easy to ruin the texture or presentation of a favorite dish if you cut corners.

The consistency is fine :P

Pengwuino said:
RHODY >:(
You seem to be missing the point where I implied that I didn't like my MAYONNAISE making me go into shock.
All I have to say is you will have to trust me on this, it is an acquired taste, every time I try one of the peppers it gets easier and better. I hope someday to be able to eat a whole one in one shot. Don't knock it till you try it.

The offer stands. I will send to you free of charge and I bet mine will arrive before Evo's hand made recipe does. hehe...

Rhody...

rhody said:
The offer stands. I will send to you free of charge and I bet mine will arrive before Evo's hand made recipe does. hehe...

Rhody...
Hey mayonaise tends to get lost in the mail...

Evo said:
Hey mayonaise tends to get lost in the mail...

Just teasing Evo, just teasing...

Pengy, I want an answer, I am hoping you will say, "Yes" and "DISCUSS !"

Rhody... :devil:

Peng after the first batch of mayo.

[URL]http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/332/pengwuino.png[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you make chipotle mayo?

Making chipotle mayo is a simple process that involves blending together mayonnaise, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and other seasonings. You can adjust the amount of chipotle peppers and adobo sauce to your desired level of spiciness.

2. What ingredients are needed to make chipotle mayo?

The basic ingredients for chipotle mayo include mayonnaise, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and salt. Other common ingredients that can be added for extra flavor include lime juice, garlic powder, and cumin.

3. Can you use a substitute for chipotle peppers in adobo sauce?

While chipotle peppers in adobo sauce provide a unique smoky and spicy flavor to chipotle mayo, you can use other substitutes such as chipotle powder, smoked paprika, or hot sauce. Just be sure to adjust the amount according to your taste.

4. How long can chipotle mayo be stored?

If stored in an airtight container, chipotle mayo can be kept in the refrigerator for up to one week. It is important to note that homemade mayo may have a shorter shelf life compared to store-bought versions.

5. What dishes can chipotle mayo be used in?

Chipotle mayo can be used as a condiment for sandwiches, burgers, and wraps. It can also be used as a dip for fries, chicken tenders, and veggies. Additionally, it can be used as a spread for tacos, quesadillas, and as a dressing for salads.