Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making Chipotle mayo

1. Sep 14, 2011 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I know I could probably just go out and buy some chipotle mayonnaise, but I wanted to make some!! Plus the store closest to us didn't have any.

So I followed a simple enough recipe, just mix a few chipotle peppers with some normal mayo and some lime juice and salt and pepper. Holy *** was it spicy. Ok well it wasn't entirely hot, but it had a kick at the end that made you need to drink something. It also didn't really taste like the chipotle mayo you get at restaurants and such. Does anyone know a recipe for some restaurant-quality chipotle mayo? Or is it probably just best to go buy some.

Oh and if you could make some for me and send it to me, that'd be great. KTHX

DISCUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2011 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Try mixing the chipotle peppers with the lime juice and seasonings and blending them or processing them really fine in a food processor. Then blend that mix into your mayo to taste. Don't try to blend those ingredients with the mayo, because the blending will likely destroy the consistency of that emulsion.

4. Sep 14, 2011 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Maybe try some of rhody's ghost peppers...

5. Sep 14, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The consistancy was fine after blending. The chipotle just pwned my mouth. Restaurant chipotle mayos always seem more flavorful and less spicy

How about I put you in a food processor.

6. Sep 14, 2011 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Try using the adobo sauce they're packed in and leave out the peppers. Or mix the sauce and mayo until you get the taste you want then blend in a bit of pepper.

7. Sep 14, 2011 #6

turbo

Gold Member

By the way, when I suggested that you "blend" the chipotle, lime-juice, etc into the mayo, I meant with a spoon or spatula, not with an appliance. If you love natural mayonnaise, you don't ever want to hit it with a blender because you'll alter the feel of the mayo, especially with acidic additives. I mix my chili-"tartar-sauce" one little bowl at a time because of this. You can slide by with "quick and dirty" but I don't tolerate that here. It doesn't take much (if any) effort to do things the right way, and preserve the texture (as well as the taste) of such a blend. Texture is very important to the way that we sense our foods. Perhaps even more important on a "gut" level than appearance and taste.

Can I get a cooking show? My mother and grandmother would drill into my head the importance of texture. Some foods are quite forgiving with over-cooking or under-cooking. Many are not. Under-cook French-style whole yellow pea soup or baked beans, and you end up with a mealy mush that no amount of reheating can save.

I can't bear to watch cooking shows because they are all diving to the bottom (a la Survivor) while real cooking skills are being minimized for the sake of ratings. When I was a kid, I got the equivalent of attending a "culinary institute", in which I got to help cook, prepare, can, etc everything that you might find in a provincial larder. Combine that with the gardening and animal husbandry that produced much of the food that was preserved, and you find yourself looking at a person who has little respect for supermarkets and the food industry in general.

8. Sep 15, 2011 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah that's what I was trying but I put so many peppers in in the first go-around that I would have had to start adding huge amounts of mayo to get the spiciness out.

Evo, make me some and ship it to me kthx?

9. Sep 15, 2011 #8

Evo

It's in the mail!

10. Sep 15, 2011 #9

turbo

Gold Member

You have to pay attention when making up foods for storage, or blending them for use in the short term. It is very easy to ruin the texture or presentation of a favorite dish if you cut corners.

11. Sep 15, 2011 #10

rhody

Gold Member

Pengy,

That stuff is for puss... ! PM me and I will send you a fresh ripe ghost pepper and a rubber glove, cut off a piece about twice the size of a pencil lead, slice it, dice it, then blend it. I 100% guarantee you have never had anything or ever will again that has a kick like this. This is NOT a challenge but if you wish to interpret it that way so be it. (Don't use the knife again for food, use a disposable one, I am not kidding)

I brought a couple of ripe peppers to work today, two young guys ate about 2 pencil leads worth each (no seeds) and it wasn't too bad, another guy wanted to be macho, so I took about three times that much, which included a number of seeds and he was blown away to say the least. He has had a tiny bit of pepper extract before (earlier this year) and said this stuff was hotter.

Rhody... :devil: :biggrin: The gauntlet has been thrown... and... penguins are heading for icy waters to chill, hehe...

12. Sep 15, 2011 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

RHODY >:(

You seem to be missing the point where I implied that I didn't like my MAYONNAISE making me go into shock.

Not if that USPS thread is any indication of anything.

The consistency is fine :P

13. Sep 15, 2011 #12

rhody

Gold Member

All I have to say is you will have to trust me on this, it is an acquired taste, every time I try one of the peppers it gets easier and better. I hope someday to be able to eat a whole one in one shot. Don't knock it till you try it.

The offer stands. I will send to you free of charge and I bet mine will arrive before Evo's hand made recipe does. hehe...

Rhody...

14. Sep 15, 2011 #13

Evo

Hey mayonaise tends to get lost in the mail...

15. Sep 15, 2011 #14

rhody

Gold Member

Just teasing Evo, just teasing...

Pengy, I want an answer, I am hoping you will say, "Yes" and "DISCUSS !!!!!"

Rhody... :devil:

16. Sep 15, 2011 #15

Evo

Peng after the first batch of mayo.

[URL]http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/332/pengwuino.png[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook