Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making clocks

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You decide to start a business selling clocks.

http://www.sjs.net.au/pics/1/1962b.jpg [Broken]

You decide Roman numerals make a clock look a lot more stylish and that all of the clocks you sell will use Roman numerals. In the interest of efficiency, you need a single mold that will create all of the numbers necessary for your clock. Each mold set can be cut however necessary (i.e group two I's or a single I, etc), but each numeral on the clock has to be a single piece (i.e. the XI has to be next to each other on the mold set). You can use more than one mold set for each clock, but every symbol on the mold sets used have to be used. If you have extra V's, extra I's, extra X's, then you're just wasting resources.

http://wallwinedecor.com/Images/wallclocks/Roman%20numeral%20xlarge%20wall%20clock.jpg [Broken]

What should be the layout of each moldset (i.e. - what Roman numerals should be on each set) and how many sets are necessary for each clock.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/6771743/2/istockphoto_6771743-classic-clock-roman-numerals.jpg

Oh, darn. I can't delete this and repost even immediately after posting. How did I wind up one level to high when I posted this?!:grumpy:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure I understand the question, but going with my best interpretation...
    I I I V I I I X laid out inside an annular region so that the X is again followed by the I I I ... If that makes no sense, I probably didn't understand the question. But if it does, that would be an 8 symbol mold, and it assumes that IV is used to represent 4. There seem to be obvious issues with such a mold (outside the parameters of the puzzle), but that may again be because I'm misunderstanding the question.

4. Feb 4, 2010 #3
    Use an acid etching machine. Have a computer print out the design and have it etched on a metal clock face.

Do I win?

5. Feb 5, 2010 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Check the pictures of the clocks. This is the norm for clocks using Roman numerals. There's a reason for that norm.

6. Feb 5, 2010 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

[Totally unrelated]
    I saw a remarkable clock the other day. It did not have the "normal" (Louis XIV) clock configuration. My friends, who were present when I pointed it out, did not understand my remark.
    [/Totally unrelated]

It's not easy being geek
    But geek is what I am and I have to learn to live with it.

7. Feb 5, 2010 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that why there's a IIII instead of a IV?

8. Feb 5, 2010 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That is the traditional design for Roman Numeral clocks, yes.

9. Feb 8, 2010 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4 X's, 4 V's, and 20 I's. Means you need 4 identical molds to make one clock.

VIIIIIX

Slice each up as necessary to make the numerals for your clock (note that X and I look identical whether they're upside down or right side up).

10. Feb 8, 2010 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

11. Feb 8, 2010 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Boy, do I feel stupid for throwing in all those I's before the V.

12. Feb 9, 2010 #11

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

And occured prior to, too.

Is that geeky? :eek:

13. Feb 9, 2010 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wasn't this one, was it?

http://www.visitingdc.com/images/big-ben-picture-2.jpg [Broken]

I have now spent too much time on trivia ranging from the Roman spelling of Jupiter (or at least parts thereof) to the time of Lincoln's assassination.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  14. Feb 9, 2010 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:biggrin: No. It was on someone's mantle.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook