Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making clouds in a sustainable form in labs

1. Mar 28, 2004 #1
    hi pple
    were there any expts. of making clouds in a sustainable form in labs.has there been made such distinct pressures and temps. for clouds to exist in any of labs here on the ground?kindly reply.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2004 #2
    and also about mass levitation techniques if anyone knows smthing about this kindly help

4. Mar 28, 2004 #3
    Clouds are water vapor, you don't need a lab as your/a shower stall will do....the Humidity in a bathroom, is about the same thing, just real small scale...as for temp and press, there are standards that they, clouds, form around....
    :cool:

5. Mar 28, 2004 #4
    Clouds are water vapor, you don't need a lab as your/a shower stall will do....the Humidity in a bathroom, is about the same thing, just real small scale...as for temp and press, there are standards that they, clouds, form around....

i was asking about clouds,fogs,mists and the like.they are the ones we can see with our eyes.

6. Mar 28, 2004 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes clouds have been made in the laboratory, and the formation of clouds (fog is just a cloud on the ground) is about as well understood as anything in this world. Clouds are made of droplets of water that are small enough that the friction of falling cancels the acceleration of gravity (I mean these are equal and opposite forces for things this small and light).

7. Mar 28, 2004 #6
    Yes, and if you take a hot shower, you get the same thing occuring in your bathroom, on a real small scale.....water vapor, and 'condensing' water vapor....I suppose it is missing the nucleation site requisites, but....I digress.... :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?