1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making Ethanol

1. Apr 28, 2006 #1
    We are trying to make ethanol by using corn meal, sugar , amalyse and water, added with yeast in our school. So far, we've tried 2 table spoons of each + water and all corn meal, no sugar, also all sugar, no corn meal. Right now, the 2 table spoons is winning, I think.
    I was wondering if anyone have suggestions to the ratios of each of the substances so we can produce the max amount of alcohol?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2006 #2
    At first I thought: you're making WHAT at school? But then I realized that you don't live in the United States, do you?

4. May 9, 2006 #3
    To make enough alcohol, you probably should take off the water produced... because usually the n(ethanol) made is around 65%, and by taking the water produced by the reaction, it increases this value. This can be done I think by adding H2SO4 as a catalyser

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?