Maximizing Ethanol Production in the School Lab

In summary, the individuals involved in this conversation are attempting to make ethanol using corn meal, sugar, amalyse, and water, along with yeast. They have tried various ratios of these substances and have found that using 2 tablespoons of each, along with water, is producing the most alcohol. The individual asking for suggestions suggests removing the water produced during the reaction to increase the amount of ethanol produced, possibly by using H2SO4 as a catalyser.
dumbadum
We are trying to make ethanol by using corn meal, sugar , amalyse and water, added with yeast in our school. So far, we've tried 2 table spoons of each + water and all corn meal, no sugar, also all sugar, no corn meal. Right now, the 2 table spoons is winning, I think.
I was wondering if anyone have suggestions to the ratios of each of the substances so we can produce the max amount of alcohol?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
At first I thought: you're making WHAT at school? But then I realized that you don't live in the United States, do you?

To make enough alcohol, you probably should take off the water produced... because usually the n(ethanol) made is around 65%, and by taking the water produced by the reaction, it increases this value. This can be done I think by adding H2SO4 as a catalyser

1. How do I determine the ideal temperature for ethanol production in the school lab?

The ideal temperature for ethanol production in the school lab is typically between 30-35°C. This temperature range allows for optimal enzyme activity and fermentation rates. You can use a thermometer to monitor the temperature and make adjustments as needed.

2. What type of equipment do I need for ethanol production in the school lab?

You will need basic laboratory equipment such as beakers, flasks, a stir plate, and a thermometer. You will also need specialized equipment such as a fermenter, a hydrometer, and a pH meter. It is important to have all necessary equipment before beginning the production process.

3. Can I use any type of sugar for ethanol production in the school lab?

Yes, you can use a variety of sugars for ethanol production, including glucose, fructose, and sucrose. However, it is important to note that different sugars may have varying fermentation rates and may require different amounts for optimal ethanol production. It is recommended to use glucose as it is the most efficient sugar for fermentation.

4. How do I know when the ethanol production process is complete?

You can monitor the progress of ethanol production by using a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity of the solution. When the specific gravity reaches a steady level, it indicates that the fermentation process is complete. You can also use a pH meter to ensure that the solution has reached a pH of 4.5-5.5, which is the ideal range for ethanol production.

5. Can I use any type of yeast for ethanol production in the school lab?

There are many different types of yeast that can be used for ethanol production. However, it is recommended to use a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, as it is a commonly used yeast for fermentation and has a high tolerance for ethanol. It is important to use a high-quality yeast to ensure optimal ethanol production.