Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making H2O2

1. Jun 13, 2009 #1
    Hello, this is my first post and i wanted to ask the following:

How can you make H2O2 (hydrogenperoxide) yourself, because if saw in the store the other day a aquarium oxigizer (so your fish dont sufficate) wtch uses H2O2 in a percentage of 4.9%, but the stuff costs 5 bucks a bottle and only lasts a week or 3, so can i make my own?

Thanks, wouternet

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I doubt you will be able to do it cheaper.

This is not a physics question.

And please use spellchecker.

4. Jun 13, 2009 #3
    I always wondered how all the fish in the world's oceans, lakes, and rivers thrived to this day without oxygenizers and bubble thingies... ;-)

Fact is, as long as the surface of the water is agitated ("wave" action) oxygen will enter it. You don't need any H2O2 gadgets and gizmos.

5. Jun 13, 2009 #4
    And how agitated do you suppose the surface of the water in a fish tank is?

6. Jun 14, 2009 #5

Borek

Obviously enough.

I am not using any artificial additives and in my tank fish doesn't have any problems. There is some motion of the water due to the filter pump, but even if I switch it off for few days nothing wrong happens.

7. Jun 15, 2009 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I did the same thing when I was training my fish to lie motionless, upside-down while holding their breath...

Don't need no stinkin' oxygen!

8. Jun 15, 2009 #7

berkeman

So I actually had trained my fish? And didn't need to flush them. Oh no!

Sounds like a gimmick. Just use the air bubble pump. Cheap and has worked forever. Well, except in the case of my trained fish...

9. Jun 21, 2009 #8

Lok

H2O2 is a bit energetic. I don't think that O2 ends up in water that way. It is mainly dissolved.

H2O2 might be toxic. So no extra training necessary.

10. Jun 22, 2009 #9
    :rofl: Very funny!

11. Jun 23, 2009 #10

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the aquarium, H2O2 is used to kill algae and bacteria. It has been shown to be http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abstracts/Abstract.aspx?AcNo=20013101246", for example. It is likely that the peroxide rapidly reacts with any ammonia or amines present and forms reactive chloramines within a short time of the dosage. Chloramines, like Chloramine-T, have also been used as a treatment for various parasite and bacterial infections in fish, so it makes sense that a chemical that makes a chloramine in situ would be effective as well.

It is NOT used to oxygenate water... but if used in high enough concentrations, it is useful as a training aid when training fish to hang upside down, motionless while holding their breath.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  12. Jun 23, 2009 #11

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And presumably to make blond goldfish

13. Jun 23, 2009 #12

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One fish, two fish, blondfish, pondfish....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook