Boosting Nuclei Spin: The Role of Angular Momentum & Circularly-Polarized Light

• Thread starter gildomar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuclei
In summary: I guess the main issue would be finding an energy level that would cause the nucleus to rotate.In summary, it is possible to add angular momentum to a target nucleus by shining circularly-polarized light onto it. However, it is not possible to do this with precision using beams of particles.
gildomar
I know that in order to create a high-spin nucleus, that you slam a nucleus into the target nucleus off-center so that when they fuse, it has a large angular momentum (relatively speaking). However, can't you add angular momentum to the target nucleus by instead just shining circularly-polarized light onto it?

Physics news on Phys.org
gildomar said:
I know that in order to create a high-spin nucleus, that you slam a nucleus into the target nucleus off-center so that when they fuse, it has a large angular momentum (relatively speaking). However, can't you add angular momentum to the target nucleus by instead just shining circularly-polarized light onto it?
As in circularly polarized gamma ray? What energy level is necessary to change the spin of a nucleon, or set of nucleons? Consider that the target is a nucleus, rather than the atom (atomic electrons).

http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/einrichtungen/ag/ag-heyn/Teaching/docs/vorlesung_12_1_10.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
gildomar said:
I know that in order to create a high-spin nucleus, that you slam a nucleus into the target nucleus off-center so that when they fuse, it has a large angular momentum (relatively speaking).
Well, it is not possible to focus beams with that precision. You get all sorts of collisions, some of them are off-center.

However, can't you add angular momentum to the target nucleus by instead just shining circularly-polarized light onto it?
If you hit the right frequency for a transition, I would expect that this is possible, at least in theory.

@Astronuc - I figure that it would need to be a gamma ray, but I'm not sure, since from what I gather, finding the proper energy for a rotationally excited state is rather complicated due to the issues you mentioned. But it might be possible with a fair amount of number-crunching.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@mfb - I kind of figured that bit about the off-center collisions, since bunches of particles are used in beams anyway. Not to mention while the focusing magnets are pretty good, I didn't think that they can focus something the size of a nucleus to hit another nucleus precisely, even ignoring Heisenberg uncertainty for a moment.

So you haven't heard of doing it that way before? I haven't been able to find anything like it from research that I've done, but I wouldn't want to be copying someone else's work if they've already done it.

What is the relationship between angular momentum and circularly-polarized light?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of a particle or system, while circularly-polarized light refers to the direction of the electric field oscillations in a light wave. The two are related through the spin of particles, which can be influenced by circularly-polarized light.

How does circularly-polarized light affect the spin of nuclei?

Circularly-polarized light can transfer angular momentum to nuclei, causing them to spin in a particular direction. This can be used to control the spin of nuclei and study their properties in more detail.

What is the role of angular momentum in boosting nuclei spin?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in boosting nuclei spin by providing the energy needed to overcome the nuclear spin barrier. By transferring angular momentum to nuclei, circularly-polarized light can help increase their spin and allow for new experiments and applications.

Can circularly-polarized light be used to manipulate other properties of nuclei?

Yes, circularly-polarized light can also be used to manipulate other properties of nuclei, such as their magnetic moments and quadrupole moments. This can provide valuable information about the structure and behavior of nuclei.

What are the potential applications of boosting nuclei spin using circularly-polarized light?

Boosting nuclei spin using circularly-polarized light has potential applications in fields such as nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), quantum computing, and nuclear energy. It can also help us better understand the fundamental properties of nuclei and their role in the universe.