Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making molecules?

1. Jun 11, 2006 #1
    Hello :D

How do chemists make molecules such as those in commercial products id est benzyl peroxide?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2006 #2
    Generally, to make commercial chemicals in small quantities, chemists mix naturally found crude chemicals (chosen wisely) in their labs, and let the mixure react. The crude chemicals are chosen based on the hundreds of (mostly organic) reactions they have learned and on their intution of how these molecules behave in various environments.

To make large-scale amounts of chemicals used in commercial products, the chemists report their recipe to chemical and mechanical engineers who then construct chemical plants better suited for large-scale production.
  4. Jun 12, 2006 #3
    So how do you make in small quantities:

(1). 2.5 percent Benzyl Peroxide?
  5. Jun 12, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hope you're not trying to make it and put it on your face!
  6. Jun 13, 2006 #5
    One day if I'm good enough I might test it on someone who has acnes :rofl:

But seriously, how do chemists do it.
  7. Jun 13, 2006 #6
    They start with several "basic" molecules that have various regions on them that they can modify (i.e. double bonds, triple bonds, functional groups) and then they sequentially react those basic compounds together to make more complicated structures (the proper order of reactions is crucial, as well as the conditions such as pH, water content, etc.). Most reactions are not 100% perfect (and do not go to 100% completion, there's an equilibrium to some extent) and so chemists must also screen and seperate the final product to increase its purity.
  8. Jun 19, 2006 #7
    How do they determine the chemical formula for Benzyl Peroxide?
  9. Jun 19, 2006 #8
    From the name?

Experimentally there are many methods for finding chemical formulae. Some of the more advanced technical methods involve using mass spectrometers to analyse the proportions of molecule fragments, Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and other spectroscopic analysis techniques, X-Ray Crystallography, chromatography.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?