1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making my own fire hose

1. Jan 22, 2010 #1
    I had an idea the other day and I wondered whether or not it was possible. I want to build a water tank hooked up to a hose that can fire with the force of a real fire hose ( I'd really be delighted if I only reached half that ). Here's what the numbers:

A fire hose has roughly 8 bars of pressure.
    Roughly 10 meters deep of water creates 1 bar.

It would be impractical to build my a cylindrical tank be roughly 80 meters high. Instead, I was thinking that I could use a conical shape tank. Would a conical tank of the same height and hole width at the bottom as a cylindrical tank have more pressure because of the extra water on it? Does it matter what size the hole is at the bottom?

Let's say the hole was 2 centimeters wide, the cylindrical tank will need (pi*(r^2)*h) (3.14(2[centimeters]^2)*8000[centimeters]) = 100480[milliliters?]. Using (pi*(r^2)*h)/3 for the cone volume, to try to get the same volume, (3.14(2^2)*x)/3 = 100480, x = ?). My mathematical abilities all break down here. I've been trying this for a while but can't figure it out.

Basically, will a smaller conical tank create the same pressure of a larger cylindrical tank and how high would I need the tank to be to reach the 8 bars or so pressure (I'm trying to get it all the way up to my roof).

All responses are appreciated. Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No, the pressure just depends on the head (height of water). You need a pump -- that's what firetrucks use anyway.

4. Jan 22, 2010 #3
    Dang :( Thanks :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook