1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Making of a Musical Instrument

1. Oct 28, 2004 #1
    Hey everyone, i have to apply physics knpowledge to make a musical instrument, and if anyone has ever done this before i need major help with this assignment and i need to do good on it so please post your email reply to this thread or add me on msn: donjuan_fella@hotmail.com

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2004 #2
    I would assume its wanting you to make something with vibrating strings. I would maybe read up about standing (also called stationary) waves, frequency and resonance etc. Also, it might be of use that the note A is 440Hz. Its not much, but hopefully it'll get you started :)

4. Oct 28, 2004 #3
    To get started, id recommend a book called "The Physics of Musical Instruments" by Fletcher and Neville. The easiest instruments would probably be stringed instruments, anything with an air column such as woodwind instruments (oboe, bassoon, clarinet, saxophone) tend to be complex because one has to take in account fluid dynamics etc.

It wouldn't be too difficult to create a recorder, primitive flute, or a primitive clarinet; you'd just have to find out where to carve the holes so that the instrument hits the correct pitches (which requires a good ear).

I don't have very much experience with stringed instruments, my expertise is limited to woodwinds.

5. Oct 28, 2004 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're handy with electronics, you might be able to build a voltage controled oscillator to generate tones. How about a wind instrument? Or percussion instruments? Think about the physics of these.

Regards

Don

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?